Apparently im broken!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Im pretty sure i have a few injuries i have accumulated in the 1 year after my home closed down and i was forced to move to a gym that was my last choice, but i didnt think that i was truly beyond repair.
Let me explain; we were doing press handstands against a wall, these would give me no problem except the angle in which my wirst must stay at gives me immense pain, upon doing a press on the floor i realized this extension was not necessary but when we must do ten in a row lowering our feet an inch above the ground, it poses a problem. So when my coach saw me cringing from the pain in my wrist she questioned me and i told her they where hurting. She told me to simply turn them completely out, so they were parallel to the wall. I was fairly certain this was not right and would harm my wrist further, and she replied that i was 14 and i was already falling apart already and that this addition wouldn't make a difference. :confused:

Im not sure what the point of this was i just thought it was an odd thing to say to a gymnasts, i was also wondering what you personally might do or react to a coach saying this.

That's terrible! Having wrist pain in presses does not mean that your "falling apart"!

You're right, your coach should never say that it doesn't matter if the technique is wrong because your already hurt. Not only is this the wrong technique, but you might even hurt yourself further doing this! Coaches are supposed to keep you safe.

If I was in this situation, I either would do the presses or I would stop once the pain became real. Also, do you use tigerpaws? Although I don't have wrist pain I've heard they work pretty well.

My DD uses the Tigerpaws when her wrists bother her and they really do help.

As far as your coach's comment. I am just flabbergasted! The stupid things people say sometimes just amazes me!

Is your coach's personality type one that this comment could be explained by teasing you? I work with high school students and I will tease them in a manner that makes it sound like I'm exasperated with them. I know you have to be careful and selective because if you don't have a positive relationship with the kid, it comes across very critical. Is there any chance that your coach was making an awkward attempt to do something like that?

okay...i suppose that's possible bella's mom ^^^ if so, then he/she is an insensitive idiot.:) lol.

This comment was not meant in a teasing mannor, she is the head coach and a former gymnasts that had to deal with a lot of injuries, the other coach i work with just ignores me or teases the girls that their gymnastics is horrible and that we are "tard" heads. The coach that said the comment is my favorite coach and i was perplexed by such a comment, i was always under the impression that gymnastics is good but preserving your health is more important than finishing the set of presses (which ended up as 30 press with tears in my eyes because they hurt but i wasnt going to say anything it was just pain).

I never thought of using tiger paws, it was just doing press handstands. Now that i think of when i tumble to many things hurt to pin point my wrists, i just sort of grin a bear it. Now the coach is not an idiot, but it was an odd comment that made me even more unsure of the gym i am currently at. If a coach said that to your daughter or son, or to you if you were a gymnast, what would you do?

oh no! is this the same coach from before in another post where the same coach called you all "tard heads"? you know, there's an old saying...2 heads are better than 1. unless those 2 heads are Medusa.

if it was my son or daughter as you asked, we would sit down at the kitchen table. and i would get out #2 pencils and paper. i would then have them place the back of their hand down on the paper. i would instruct them to make a fist with all but the middle finger. i would then instruct them to extend their middle finger as long as possible. i would then instruct them to trace this with the #2 pencil. i would then instruct them how to mail a letter. i would enclose their tracing. it would be addressed to the gym in care of the medusa's. that's that.:)

Okay "tard" head isn't acceptable in any situation. So we're back to Dunno's original assessment.....Idiot!

Ok I am ususally a non confrontational person....will avoid making waves most of the time....but if my DD were in that much pain and the coach was that insensitive I would have to speak up. I think the coach is actually the "tard head" in this case!!!

Actually turning your hands out or even completely backwards isn't going to injure your wrists further (in most cases, anyway), because it decreases the angle of flexion. Wrist pain isn't uncommon when working on handstands and presses a lot, and a lot of people turn their hands backwards. I have fairly serious wrist problems and prefer not to do this though.

Anyway that seems like a peripheral issue...unfortunately your coach's attitude is terrible, so I can see why you wouldn't put much stock in his suggestions.

Just to clarify there are two coaches that coach myself and a group we refer to as "The Others", the coach who made this suggestion to me does not refer to us as "tard" heads (atleast not most of the time she perfers "Beefus and butt head" "tweedle Dee and tweedle dumb" and the three stouges this is when we act distractedly but usually lauches a battle to determine who is butt head or tweedle dumb) the second coach is the owner of the gym and as a person he is fun to be around but when you are a gymnast struggling with fear issues being called names, teased, and purposely show up by a 3 yr old he throw around and prove to us we shouldn't be afraid does not feel good!

At this point and time i am considering moving to another gym but have not talked to my mom, but every time i am with the "teasing" coach i just know that even if i tried another gym it wouldnt make a difference it is me not my coaching. The other coach is my favorite by far as she actually coaches me, and i simply perplexed by her comment and thought it odd, but i suppose if turning out my hands doesnt affect my wrist in a negative mannor i guess it doesn't matter, although it still hurt im not one to complain.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions, but the past is the past, it was simply a comment by a coach and i really didnt need to overthink it.

I'm sorry but I just find those names offensive. You're probably too young but Beavis and Butthead was an old cartoon featuring two boys who were dumber than a bag of hammers, vulgar, and foul mouthed. Not exactly something I would want attributed to my own child. I don't ever approve, even in a joking manner, of calling a child dumb even when using the character Tweedle Dumb. The stooges comments could be okay depending on relationship between child and coach.

It just seems like there is an awful lot of name calling by the coaches in your gym. If you were my daughter, given your presumed age range, I would be encouraging you to find a more positive coaching atmosphere. I don't know all of the ins and outs of the coaching but I'm familiar with teenagers and I wouldn't dismiss what a different coach could do for you by approaching you with a more empowering and positive stategy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back