WAG Apparently state meet is just NOT my girls' strength

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2G1B

Proud Parent
Last year both of my girls didn't do great at their state meets. Not like last place; but not too good.

This year they have both had pretty darn good years. My younger DD has had a really good year. She has placed on beam at every meet, even at meets against the tough teams in our area (the ones that placed first and second for team today at state). She has also normally placed on bars and on floor at a few meets. Yeah... today at state she had her lowest beam score of the year. :-( And it was her first event. I think seeing that score come up for beam kind of threw her off. She went on to do... OK on floor, not great; but not as bad as beam. On vault she did her best vault of the year. Generally vault is NOT her thing; but today it was her highest score (8.9). On bars, she nearly overshot her mill circle; but bent her leg to stop herself. That was the only big thing I saw; but she also scored lower than normal (for her) on that.

It is kind of funny, normally bars and beam are what she scores highest on (generally high 8s - like 8.9+s or 9s), then floor and vault swap back and forth for her lowest scores. Today she scored highest on vault, then floor, then bars, then beam. So pretty much opposite for her.

Anyway, today was definitely her worst meet of the year with vault being the only thing that she got her highest score of the year on. Everything else she scored significantly lower (.5 - .8) lower than normal. It was just an off day for her.

Last week the same thing happened to my older DD at state - she had her best vault ever (did actually place 5th on that); but had her second worst meet of the year for everything else.

Oh well, on to learning new skills. They are both excited about that. :) And the great thing is that this is the first time that they will have had this long to prepare for a season. They are now getting ready for the next levels and won't start competing until August. For this season they both started training for it in June and started competing in August (little to no uptraining last year at our old gym) and for their their competition year at the old gym older DD was put on team in April after a month of pre-team and younger DD was put on pre-team in April, then moved to team in August or September, both started competing in November. (through April - seriously, I felt like that competition season was never.going.to.end.)

It happens. For DD's L4 and L5 seasons, her state meet was one of her worst. But, the next day, there are new things to look forward to! And, now in her 5th year competing, her best and worst events can switch any day.

Did you move states? Just wondering how you have had such vastly different competition seasons. Our season is generally fall-March or April (depending on if you're compulsories or optionals).

We switched from an AAU for compulsories gym to a USAG one, hence the swap in seasons. AAU seems to be mostly spring season around here. USAG has the main season in fall; but does have a spring season that I think is smaller.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back