WAG Are parents allowed to judge their own kids?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
...fyi, I have NO desire to EVER be a judge....I will leave that to the professionals....but I really got curious if this ever happens. Someone out there let me know. I wouldn't think it would matter as there is more than one judge per event....but does it happen?

no. We have several in MAG that are parents and judges. I have seen him judge the same session, but not the flight his son is in. So if it is an 9/10 meet, he will judge the level his son is not in. If there are no options, the alternate judge does that session.

Just curious, is it an actual rule or a moral/ethical thing?

Example non gym related. We have members on our school board who are married to teachers in the district. Personally for me I think that is a conflict of interest and shouldn't be allowed, but it is.

And cause ya got me thinking. Can they judge other gymnasts on their kids team?

I think its all a huge conflict of interest, but what are the rules?

I can only speak to what I have heard....Wee have several parents that are judges here. I have never seen them judge their own gymnast.

They have judged gymnasts on their kids' team.

We have coaches that are judges. They will judge their own gymnasts. Poor kids....

But a judge/coach/someone smarter than me might know the rules around this.

I am just curious as to what the actual rule is.

For me ethically if I were a judge, I wouldn't even judge my kids team much less my own kid. But that is my personal ethical code. The actual rules might be completely different.

Here's the text on this:

b. Judges affiliated with a club, gymnast or coach participating in the competition MAY be assigned to judge, with the following stipulations: 1) In USA Gymnastics qualifying competitions with panels of two (2) or four (4) judges: a) An affiliated judge may be assigned as a Panel judge or as the Meet Referee. b) No more than one (1) judge with the same affiliation may be assigned per panel. c) An affiliated judge may NOT be assigned as Chief Judge, regardless of accreditation rating. 2) In non-qualifying Open Invitationals with panels of two (2) or four (4) judges a) Affiliated judges may be assigned as a Chief or Panel judge. b) If any of the Chief Judges are affiliated, the Meet Director must list the judges (and their affiliation) on the pre-meet information. 3) For meets using one-judge panels, an affiliated judge may be assigned ONLY when there are not enough non-affiliated judges available and only with the approval of the Regional Technical Committee Chairman (RTCC). • If the RTCC is affiliated and must be assigned, approval must come from the State Administrative Committee Chairman. • An affiliated judge may be assigned to a one-judge panel for Level 1 and 2. 4) If the club with which the judge is affiliated is not participating in the meet to which the judge has been assigned, she/he is NOT considered affiliated at that meet. a) If the meet format has separate team and individual awards per session, then a judge would be affiliated only during the session(s) in which the club/team he/she is affiliated with is competing. b) If there is an overall team award for the same levels at the end of the entire meet, the affiliation rules apply for the entire competition.

3. Affiliation of judges with an individual(s) or gymnastics club a. A judge is considered affiliated at a specific meet if she/he is: 1) An immediate family member* of a: a) competing gymnast b) coach of a competing club Example: A parent whose offspring is a coach of a competing club is affiliated with that club regardless of whether or not the coach is on the floor working at a specific meet. c) club owner/administrator whose club is competing d) Women’s Artistic Jr. Olympic or Xcel team member of a club competing in the meet. Example: A parent of a Level 5 gymnast is judging an Optional competition in which her daughter’s club is competing. • An immediate family member of a Men’s, Rhythmic, Acrobatic Gymnastics or Tumbling/Trampoline Team member of a competing club is NOT considered to be affiliated. • An immediate family member of any child enrolled in a recreational class of a competing club is NOT considered to be affiliated. * Immediate family refers to a parent, step-parent, grandparent, or sibling. In addition, it could include any other person living in the household. 2) A person on the payroll of a competing club. • A judge who critiques or coaches at a specific gymnastics club on a regular (more than once a month) basis is considered affiliated with that club. 3) A Women’s Artistic Jr. Olympic or Xcel team member of a club competing in the meet. Example: A Level 10 gymnast holds a Compulsory rating and is judging gymnasts from her own club at a Compulsory meet. Revised July 2015 2 4) A Coach of a competing gymnast. 5) A Club Owner of a competing club/gymnast. 6) Any sports science professional that is paid for ongoing services for a competing athlete. • Example: Athletic trainer, Physical Therapist, Sports Psychologist

my experience is that they really try to avoid it. Or maybe I just never see it on the MAG side because we rarely have more than 1 judge.

I've seen owners, coaches, and parents judge their own kids at competitions in NY. As the rules & policies from above read, it is allowed as long as the "affiliated" judge is not chief judge on that given event.

each club who enters a competition here has to supply a judge, most judges are also coaches so they are always judging their own gymnasts.

Another short answer: In women's USAG, a parent (or coach, or gym owner) can judge their own child. The have to be "assistant judge" on a 2 or 4 judge panel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back