Parents Are warm ups and bags usually required?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amanda

Proud Parent
Hi! My daughter fairly recently joined team and has yet to compete. We just got an email about getting fitted for and ordering all of the competition stuff. I'm definitely experiencing sticker shock- it's $400 for leo, bag. pants, and jacket. I will definitely ask, but I was wondering if all of that is usually required? Do we really need the bag? The jacket? I know the leo will be required- it's $180. I have read enough on here to not completely have a heart attack about the cost of the leo, but the rest is surprising me a bit. I'm hoping we might be able to forgo some of the "extra" items. Am I totally dreaming? Thanks!

Reactions: sce
Welcome to the world of competitive gymnastics - open your wallet and smile. If you haven't planted your money tree in your backyard by now, you might want to do it.

The costs will only continue to increase from here on out. For example, during compulsories and early optionals, we would have our meet weekends and maybe spend a few hundred dollars for the weekend depending if a hotel was required or not. Then upper optionals hit and the travel budget during competition season went up to a couple thousand dollars per weekend as we traveled, on average, 7-8 times a season all requiring flights, hotels, and rental cars. Then the competition "stuff" and of course the competition fees for the season - easily $10K per season.

Good Luck.

Yes. Our warm ups and bags have their names stitched on so you can't even hand them down..................

And those aren't extras, they are part of their uniform.............. :cool:

Our gym tries to alternate warm-ups and leo orders so you once on team so if there is a change its not the same year. We haven't changed bags since we got to the gym 5 yrs ago. Of course now I probably just jinxed myself. ;)

And of course if they have a growth spurt, you are buying again. :eek:

It's all required at our gym. Our estimated costs are also $350-$450 for leo, warm-up jacket, pants, and bag. They get new ones every other year.

Ok, this is all insane. I may have just completely changed my mind about pursuing ANY gymnastics now. It's for fun - that sort of money is ridiculous.

Ok, this is all insane. I may have just completely changed my mind about pursuing ANY gymnastics now. It's for fun - that sort of money is ridiculous.
The warm ups and bag to me are totally understandable, it's a competitive sport so it's expected. Same goes for a softball team, ice skating team, volleyball, etc.....it just comes with the territory.
There are many more fees and other "extra" items that most other parents can tell you about that can definitely fall under the "ridiculous" category.
But warm ups and team bags are pretty standard and normal.

We rent our warm ups - so that's a great savings for the families. Bags are stitched but rather inexpensive - $40 I believe. Leos tend to be the biggest cost.

Yep that's a pretty typical cost. Now sometimes you can re-use these items for more than one season depending on your dd's growth and how long your gym keeps the same style of leos/warm ups. And if you think that's bad just wait until you see the bill for meet fees/coaches travel fees.

Gymnastics is much more pricey than I ever would have imagined when my dd did tryouts, this much is true.

My son does travel baseball. $200 for uniforms, $50 bag, cleats not uniform but he needs them, and good ones, plus he needs turf shoes for playing on turf fields. Gymnastics isn't really any more expensive than any other highly competitive sport.

Thanks everyone. I don't know whether to "like" all your responses or not! :eek: I'm still going to ask- but at least I know the answer I am likely to get. I think it's time to look for a way to earn a little extra money. We've done very little competitive sports with our kids so we have definitely entered a new world. Thankfully, she is the only one of our kids pursuing something like this right now.

Oh I know, I already told her I'm keeping it so she can wear it to prom!

My daughter was upset that I traded in her very first competition leo for a used one in the gym's annual outgrown leo swap. She wanted to keep it forever. I told her how much it would cost to buy a new leo so she could keep the old one, and she promptly changed her tune.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back