Parents Are warm ups and bags usually required?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Its interesting...as the levels go up, the hair insanity goes down...we have watched some level 10 sessions in different states as well as ours... for many the hair was no longer the priority. My kid and I both noticed it. The session right after one level 10 one consisted of level 2s...and their hair was done up to the hilt, lol.

lol - our upper levels do "messy" buns. basically it's a ponytail pulled up in a "bun". it constantly gets adjusted during the meet. i think a lot of the girls in the olympics are like this too. so not fussy about the hair.

mine prefers her double french braids. our gym doesn't have a required hair style, just that it's off the face. we quickly found out a bun wasn't going to work for her.

It was the $10,000 per year comment above that made me say the money was ridiculous. I don't mind paying for group lessons for my toddler; she does love it. But I might just not allow any real competitive stuff beyond this, if it requires crazy money beyond a few leotards and a gym bag. I'm just not convinced it would be worth it or necessary for a happy, successful kid. :) Luckily, playing in the mud doesn't cost a thing. :)

well she's a toddler. so you don't even know if gymnastics is going to be her thing. she should be the one to pursue something. and she may not like it or her talents may lie elsewhere. she should be having fun and loving it right now. enjoy her being little. it goes by all too fast. :(

It really depends on the gym. Mine had a competitive leo that they kept for 2 years, the warm-up she had all 3 years of compulsory. When she moved up to optionals, they got warm-ups that she kept the remainder of the time that she competed (another 3 years). The bags they used for 4 years until the company discontinued the bag. So if you think of it that way, you are not paying that same amount every single season. She is still able to use her gym bag now for other things and even though it has been almost a year since she quit, she can still wear her warm-up jacket (and did occasionally when she went to watch her former teammates this past season).

So, if gyms have different leos for the various competitive groups, they are less of a "team" as a result?

It's ok to embrace your one leo fits all philosophy without denigrating leo choices at other gyms.
As others have said the like the fact that they all look like one team.

And the reality is at a lot of gyms Xcel is looked at as second best, compulsories not "good" enough. I don't like things that separate. I like the idea of inclusiveness. It's my opinion, I'm entitled to to it as you are entitled to yours.

Mostly, I'm far too practical, I like the fact that it keeps costs down for us all as a group.

have you got your meet fees yet? the uniform fees are just a warm up for that. o_O:p[/QUOTE]

No, I already know to dread those! We have a meeting soon. I really have been looking into additional employment opportunities today!

@Deleted member 18037 - In all honesty, I'm not really getting how it keeps costs down as a group. Can you please elaborate? I'm truly curious.

Do you use the same design choice for many years? If so, do they hold up real well?

At a given gym, let's say they have a cheap, an intermediate, and a pricey leo, and they're level dependent. The cheap tank leo is usually replaced yearly, but the kids all get to use it as a workout leotard for practice after season. They love it because they all match at practice.

Say the intermediate leo usually spans 3 levels of kids, and it is usually replaced every two years.

And the priciest leotard, it also spans three levels, and also usually gets replaced every two years.

The only time there's an issue is if say a kid buys the intermediate leotard year 1, then needs pricey leo year 2, and then an updated, new pricey leo again year 3. And usually a gym makes some attempt to help with this, unless it's a large group of kids. In that case, it's possible they let them either get the pricey leo early, or wear the intermediate leo for an extra level.

Staff is sometimes mindful of leos with moveups and level planning, to a degree. When kids are caught in the middle, often they're so flattered/happy for the bump in level that they don't really care about the extra expense.

In our personal experience, 2 year cycles on leos make sense. By the end of a leo's two year run, foil and metallic wears, fabric pills, stones/sequins go missing, and underarm fabric gets discolored.

Mostly, I'm far too practical, I like the fact that it keeps costs down for us all as a group.

Were the parents of L2 and L3 kids also asking for the $200+ leo? I would have had a big problem paying that when my daughter was just starting out. Her leo was under $100 and I thought it was expensive! As I said, it cost half of a months tuition and it felt like a lot then. Now I don't even blink even thought it's much more expensive, I just hand over my credit card. I guess I've become desensitized - maybe that was their plan all along :p

Were the parents of L2 and L3 kids also asking for the $200+ leo? I would have had a big problem paying that when my daughter was just starting out. Her leo was under $100 and I thought it was expensive! As I said, it cost half of a months tuition and it felt like a lot then. Now I don't even blink even thought it's much more expensive, I just hand over my credit card. I guess I've become desensitized - maybe that was their plan all along :p
Actually this was expensive for us. And it was at the parents requests

@Deleted member 18037 - In all honesty, I'm not reaolly getting how it keeps costs down as a group. Can you please elaborate? I'm truly curious.

Do you use the same design choice for many years? If so, do they hold up real well?

At a given gym, let's say they have a cheap, an intermediate, and a pricey leo, and they're level dependent. The cheap tank leo is usually replaced yearly, but the kids all get to use it as a workout leotard for practice after season. They love it because they all match at practice.

Say the intermediate leo usually spans 3 levels of kids, and it is usually replaced every two years.

And the priciest leotard, it also spans three levels, and also usually gets replaced every two years.

The only time there's an issue is if say a kid buys the intermediate leotard year 1, then needs pricey leo year 2, and then an updated, new pricey leo again year 3. And usually a gym makes some attempt to help with this, unless it's a large group of kids. In that case, it's possible they let them either get the pricey leo early, or wear the intermediate leo for an extra level.

Staff is sometimes mindful of leos with moveups and level planning, to a degree. When kids are caught in the middle, often they're so flattered/happy for the bump in level that they don't really care about the extra expense.

In our personal experience, 2 year cycles on leos make sense. By the end of a leo's two year run, foil and metallic wears, fabric pills, stones/sequins go missing, and underarm fabric gets discolored.
OG wore her first team leotard for 2 years. The next year, she needed a larger size and we got it used (it had been worn for 2 years by the previous gymnast). The 4th year, our leotard was discontinued, so we got new ones. YG wore the original one at practice occasionally. OG wore the bigger one to practice for a while.
The 5th year, they were still in the "new" leotards, but they were in the process of being discontinued. OG needed a larger leotard mid-season and 2 girls joined team at the same time. They both needed OG's previous size. We were given the larger one that HC had. We gave the current leotard to one of the girls and the old leotard to the other girl. The old leotard got 5 years out of it overall. It had to be retired at the end of the season though because the mom didn't follow the washing instructions and the booty wore thin.
Our 3rd team leotard was used for 3 years until it was discontinued. We are finishing up year 1 of the current leotard. HC is hoping to get 4 years out of them. New girls and those who outgrow can get hand-me-downs from the other girls. It saves money in the long run.

We have expensive (and blingy!) leotards at our gym. They are switched every 2-3 years. Right before meet season, anyone who has outgrown their leotard can offer it for sale to new families or old members who have outgrown their leo. Depending on how old the leo is, you might get 50% - 75% off the original price. Most families then take the money from the leo sale to put towards the new size they need to buy.

Same deal goes with warmups. And we've had the same warmups for as long as I can remember.

We get new leos every year. They change them every year so we have no other option. They've been $200-$300 each. We keep the same warm ups for years and sell/trade to other teammates when they outgrow them.

As others have said the like the fact that they all look like one team.

And the reality is at a lot of gyms Xcel is looked at as second best, compulsories not "good" enough. I don't like things that separate. I like the idea of inclusiveness. It's my opinion, I'm entitled to to it as you are entitled to yours.

I get that you are practical, which makes your opinion that a gym is more like a "team" when everyone's leo is the same all the more curious because it really has no bearing on it. I wouldn't judge a "team" by its leo(s).

My gym has excellent Xcel and Compulsory programs that are looked up to not only by folks in our gym but by others throughout the area and State. Their championship and tournament winning banners hang proudly throughout the gym. Great teams. Great programs. Great coaches. Treated no worse than the optionals at all. Until you stated that a team is a team but more so when they share the same leo, I never really took notice or cared that our gym has different leos for each. Of course I must be missing something in all this.

And just for the record, I never once questioned your right to your opinion. In fact I encouraged it. But not at the expense of other gyms who do things differently to the way that pleases you.

Seeing as today is my DD's last day as a competitive gymnast, I'm focusing on what I won't miss.
Leotards are one.

DD had one leo in old L2. (it was a tank leo, nice & cheap at $60, in case your kid didn't continue).
L3 which she started in January, was a new leo. Long sleeve. $150ish. (two leos in that one year).
New Level 3 (september), she grew. Another long sleeve $150ish leo. (sold the old one for $75)
Level 4 (following september) she grew AGAIN. Another $150 leo (sold the old one for $75)
Level 6 - new optionals leo. Blingy. Million dollar diamond encrusted piece of lycra. Bought AM based on previous leo. Was a tad bit too big.
A less-neurotic child would have worn it without a problem. Mine melted down. Tried on AS, and I asked her how it felt. She said "Confident". So yes, bought ANOTHER million dollar diamond encrusted piece of lycra. Saved AM.
Second year of Level 6. In july still fit AS. So would not have purchased another. Grew 6 inches before December. Thankfully had AM, yay!!!
After 3 meets, DD somehow splashed chlorine on the AM million dollar diamond encrusted piece of lycra during a travel meet.
Still had one more meet plus states to go...
Bought a friend's leo from previous year for $100.

I will NOT miss purchasing leotards. Well, I'll miss looking at the fun ones in GK and Plum, but I will not miss buying million dollar diamond encrusted ones. (Oh, and apparently some moms are pushing for new ones this year, so we would have been starting fresh. And not able to re-sell the ones in her closet).

@raenndrops that sounds like awesome savings, but it seems that the "all groups use same leo" preference is combined with going about 4 years with the same leotard. I'm still not sure I'm sold on it being a cost savings for gyms that replace team leos more frequently, though.

To add to my original post in this thread, the leos we've purchased have all been on the less expensive side of things (closer to $100 than $200). Even when looking at the most expensive versions, they're under $200. Maybe that skews my perspective?

To add to my original post in this thread, the leos we've purchased have all been on the less expensive side of things (closer to $100 than $200). Even when looking at the most expensive versions, they're under $200. Maybe that skews my perspective?

Possibly. DD's team used hand me down leos from the Optional girls this year. Originally well over $200, we got them for $125. Very blingy, 3/4 sleeve, etc.. Year prior, in L4 at another gym, leos were custom tanks, but fairly simple - $85. But at prior gym, the optional girl leos were $500. That was a shocker.

I thought leo prices were bad until I was chatting with a friend who's dd is a competitive swimmer. He pays $400 for a swimsuit that lasts for 1 (YES ONE!!!) swim meet. After that, it has lost its "sheen" and a bit of elasticity and it is no longer used for competitive meets.

This kid swims year round. Now, this parent is a bit of a blowhard, so it is possible he is exaggerating to some extent, but even if she wears it to a few meets, he is likely spending $2000+ per year on swimsuits.

I thought leo prices were bad until I was chatting with a friend who's dd is a competitive swimmer. He pays $400 for a swimsuit that lasts for 1 (YES ONE!!!) swim meet. After that, it has lost its "sheen" and a bit of elasticity and it is no longer used for competitive meets.

This kid swims year round. Now, this parent is a bit of a blowhard, so it is possible he is exaggerating to some extent, but even if she wears it to a few meets, he is likely spending $2000+ per year on swimsuits.
:eek:
Mental note to never sign my kids up for swim team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back