Parents Are warm ups and bags usually required?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes. If you don't also have a required hairstyle and/or footwear, you are lucky.
So true! I kind of like the hairstyle requirements though...and maybe it's just because I'm a perfectionist but it bothers me when I see gymnasts with loose ponytails or hair done so poorly they're redoing them on the floor during a meet. Our old gym gave me anxiety about that I think....lol. I saw a girl from another gym redoing her hair at a meet and I said "ohhh what is she doing!?! Can her coach see her doing that?" Oh the humanity :p

Also, compared to the gym we just came from, $400 just barely covers the leo...it's all relative, I consider your pricing a bargain :D

Wow! $400? Now I definitely feel like we're getting a "bargain!"

I thought I hit the jackpot today because our gym is offering a 15% discount for tuition paid by Friday. :)

If you are on a team there is a team uniform. This is not a gymnastic thing, its a team thing................ The warm up is part of the uniform................

Our summer leo, has shorts and a tee.................. That too is part of their uniform........................ If they are doing something that represents the "team" it is required.

Imagine dance, where they might do 3 or 4 dances at a recital requiring "costumes". Figure skating/ice hockey with blades and boots and costumes and or pads............

None of this is cheap.

If you are on a team there is a team uniform. This is not a gymnastic thing, its a team thing................ The warm up is part of the uniform................

Our summer leo, has shorts and a tee.................. That too is part of their uniform........................ If they are doing something that represents the "team" it is required.

Imagine dance, where they might do 3 or 4 dances at a recital requiring "costumes". Figure skating/ice hockey with blades and boots and costumes and or pads............

None of this is cheap.

Never for dance or soccer or swim or any other activity have my girls had to pay for a particular bag to carry their stuff around, or even for warm-ups. I think that gymnastics may not be unique, but it's not the norm in how far the uniform goes. I couldn't even imagine my girls (previous) soccer teams require everyone have matching shin guards and cleats, or pony tail holders and headbands. It would seem ridiculous.

Last edited:
Never for dance or soccer or swim or any other activity have my girls had to pay for a particular bag to carry their stuff around, or even for warm-ups. I think that gymnastics may not be unique, but it's not the norm in how far the uniform goes. I couldn't even imagine my girls (precious) soccer teams require everyone have matching shin guards and cleats, or pony tail holders and headbands. It would seem ridiculous.
They still need shin guards though............. and cleats.......................................pads.................etc....

We don't require, special shoes or hair............ But yep warm up suits part of the uniform..

Having had chats with other Mom's, some dance, yeah their recital where is about a 1/4 of my daughters leo, but then they need for costumes for one recital, never to be worn again. My kid gets 2-3 years out of her stuff, gym bag now in its 5th year...............So in the scheme of price its comprable.

Reactions: sce
They still need shin guards though............. and cleats.......................................pads.................etc....

We don't require, special shoes or hair............ But yep warm up suits part of the uniform..

Having had chats with other Mom's, some dance, yeah their recital where is about a 1/4 of my daughters leo, but then they need for costumes for one recital, never to be worn again. My kid gets 2-3 years out of her stuff, gym bag now in its 5th year...............So in the scheme of price its comprable.

Yes they would need them, but not overpriced blinged out matching ones. My girls recital costumes were never over $40. They may wear their leos more, but some gyms change them far to often for the price tag. My girls current gym is sporting a $400 leo. We are incredibly lucky in that it's not required. Nor was the bag. I was allowed to order our warm ups from eBay for a steal. My girls competed just as well in their $85 getups (leo, bag, warm up) as their teammates did in their $650 one. I'm just pointing out that many gyms go beyond a basic uniform requirement, and then have no regard for costs on top of that.

Our gym has a consignment for leos, typically girls moving on to optionals where the uniform is different from the compulsory. I bought my daughter's compulsory leo that way and probably saved 50% of cost new. Warm up and bag were new.

Our gym has a consignment for leos, typically girls moving on to optionals where the uniform is different from the compulsory. I bought my daughter's compulsory leo that way and probably saved 50% of cost new. Warm up and bag were new.
Our gym does one leo if you are L2 or L9/10. Team is team. Really helpful in keeping costs down for those who are little. No consignment. We work it out among the parents, at way less.

Yes they would need them, but not overpriced blinged out matching ones. My girls recital costumes were never over $40. They may wear their leos more, but some gyms change them far to often for the price tag. My girls current gym is sporting a $400 leo. We are incredibly lucky in that it's not required. Nor was the bag. I was allowed to order our warm ups from eBay for a steal. My girls competed just as well in their $85 getups (leo, bag, warm up) as their teammates did in their $650 one. I'm just pointing out that many gyms go beyond a basic uniform requirement, and then have no regard for costs on top of that.
Again, it really depends on the gym. We had new leo this year. First year with bling at the parents request. Yep parents request. Gym owner had a hard time with the cost at over 200 but less than 250. They really are aware of cost and are very reasonable about how they spend our money.................. And in their mind, bling doesn't add more points to routines so not necessary.

I spent 60 bucks on her gym bag 5 yrs ago, that thing doesn't owe me a dime.
Now my local friends dance costumes between 60 and 100 dollars times at least 3, because each number requires a different outfit........... Used once. So >200 for one night................

My kid 200 ish for 2 years. So over all, her "team" outfit is the least of it, here.

Never for dance or soccer or swim or any other activity have my girls had to pay for a particular bag to carry their stuff around, or even for warm-ups. I think that gymnastics may not be unique, but it's not the norm in how far the uniform goes. I couldn't even imagine my girls (previous) soccer teams require everyone have matching shin guards and cleats, or pony tail holders and headbands. It would seem ridiculous.
When my kids played soccer, competive travel teams uniform costs were similar to gymnastics, while reacreational league teams uniform cost much lower(just like competitive vs recreational gymnastics). I have never heard of a competitive, travel soccer team(as opposed to recreational or house teams that only compete within their own city) that didn't have a uniform cost in the few hundred dollar range. Warmups, bag, at least two sets of game uniforms and multiple practice uniforms were fairly standard. And some of them did have matching hair ribbons, which I always found ridiculous.

Our gym does one leo if you are L2 or L9/10. Team is team. Really helpful in keeping costs down for those who are little. No consignment. We work it out among the parents, at way less.
I doubt the child in the L2 leo will fit into it as a L9/10 much less L6/7, so I'm not sure costs are being kept down that way.

My daughter's compulsory leo will go gratis to one of her friends who has already outgrown her L2 leo after two years. We parents look after one another too.

At dd's gym, the warm up bag is optional, as are practice leos and other spirit gym wear. No special shoes (even optional ones). Only the leo and the warmup are required.

But most of the girls have all that stuff and the ones who don't are in the significant minority and tend to feel left out.

I doubt the child in the L2 leo will fit into it as a L9/10 much less L6/7, so I'm not sure costs are being kept down that way.

My daughter's compulsory leo will go gratis to one of her friends who has already outgrown her L2 leo after two years. We parents look after one another too.
For families with 2 or 3 kids in a program, handing down the leo is huge..............
For new to the program families getting a used leo is huge.

Seriously did I in anyway imply it was being handed up o_O

Those L9/10/6/7 parents who benefited when their kids were lower, are happy to hand it down. :)

All of our team girls wear the same team leotard, but we still do have girls who sell their team Leo when they outgrow it. They also sell outgrown warmups. Girls who retire sometimes sell leotard, warmups, and bag.

For families with 2 or 3 kids in a program, handing down the leo is huge..............
For new to the program families getting a used leo is huge.

Seriously did I in anyway imply it was being handed up o_O

Those L9/10/6/7 parents who benefited when their kids were lower, are happy to hand it down. :)
Must be an active hand me down market this year at your gym with the new leos.o_O

Must be an active hand me down market this year at your gym with the new leos.o_O
We just don't have the pecking order, force to get new leo crud that happens at a lot gyms. Oh you are Xcel you get this leo (and clearly not as fancy so you know your place), compulsory yet another leo (yes a little more bling because you are better then Xcel). Oh you're at the high level you get the tripped out full on one...........

Team is team at our gym. L2 or higher. You are all on the same team. You are all important. Personally I love it..............

We are at the mercy of the manufacturers............. Old leo wasn't an option. SH.

I think the real littles used the summer leo and will get the hand me downs this year. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back