Parents Are warm ups and bags usually required?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At DD's gym, the leo was $200 (got two seasons out of it) and warm ups were ~ $85. DD got two years out of the pants and 4 seasons out of the jacket because we bought it a little big and she hardly grew. Oh and the team backpack with embroidered name was only $50 and she'll keep that thing forever. My son plays soccer for a club team and his two uniforms, practice jerseys, warm ups and team backpack cost $400. So pretty equal; they both are costing me too much money! :p

There are definitely ways to do it cheaper. We moved to a new gym where the lower levels do those long sleeve t-shirts with the gym name on the back? Pom pom pullovers? They're popular with a lot of the teams. And they have GK capri pants and a GK in stock leo. The bags were sourced elsewhere and embroidered by one of our moms. Leo, warm ups and bag were $178. I think just the leos at the gym we just came from were $275 alone (though they were GORGEOUS). Some of the moms don't like that our leos "aren't special" because "just anyone could order them." But they're cute enough, with a little sparkle, extremely comfortable for the girls, and they work fine for me. I wouldn't mind paying more for a blingier one (the higher levels do full warm ups and LS leos), but I appreciate their desire to keep costs down at the lower levels.

It's Xcel, so it's probably easier to "get away with" going cheaper, but even in Bronze Xcel I see gyms with blinged out custom leos and warm ups!

We just don't have the pecking order, force to get new leo crud that happens at a lot gyms. Oh you are Xcel you get this leo (and clearly not as fancy so you know your place), compulsory yet another leo (yes a little more bling because you are better then Xcel). Oh you're at the high level you get the tripped out full on one...........

Team is team at our gym. L2 or higher. You are all on the same team. You are all important. Personally I love it..............
So, if gyms have different leos for the various competitive groups, they are less of a "team" as a result?

It's ok to embrace your one leo fits all philosophy without denigrating leo choices at other gyms.

So, if gyms have different leos for the various competitive groups, they are less of a "team" as a result?

It's ok to embrace your one leo fits all philosophy without denigrating leo choices at other gyms.

I agree. To add, the different levels at our gym have different leos not because of pecking order but because the owners are mindful of the level of financial commitment of each level and choose the leos accordingly.

I guarantee that parents of the 6 hour L2 girls don't want to pay upwards of $300 for a long sleeve blingy leo. Similarly, parents of the L10 girls want fancier leos instead of the tank leos worn by the compulsory kids. In some ways it's easier to accept paying $300 for a leo when you're already paying $500 a month for tuition....the same $300 would feel outrageous to the parent paying $150 in tuition.

Thanks everyone. I don't know whether to "like" all your responses or not! :eek: I'm still going to ask- but at least I know the answer I am likely to get. I think it's time to look for a way to earn a little extra money. We've done very little competitive sports with our kids so we have definitely entered a new world. Thankfully, she is the only one of our kids pursuing something like this right now.
Don't ask. ;) Just don't. They will talk about the mom who thinks the warm-up is extra. (we pay $350 every other year for the leo, warm-up, and bag)

Our team wears the same leotard, Levels 1-10. It would be nice to have tank leos for the lowest levels, but then what happens when they move up the next season to the different leotard group and have to buy a new leotard and only use it for 1 season? So even though Level 1 pays the same as Level 10, at least they don't have to buy 2 uniforms in 2 years. (We get new leos/warm-ups every 2 years.)

So true! I kind of like the hairstyle requirements though...and maybe it's just because I'm a perfectionist but it bothers me when I see gymnasts with loose ponytails or hair done so poorly they're redoing them on the floor during a meet. Our old gym gave me anxiety about that I think....lol. I saw a girl from another gym redoing her hair at a meet and I said "ohhh what is she doing!?! Can her coach see her doing that?" Oh the humanity :p
Its interesting...as the levels go up, the hair insanity goes down...we have watched some level 10 sessions in different states as well as ours... for many the hair was no longer the priority. My kid and I both noticed it. The session right after one level 10 one consisted of level 2s...and their hair was done up to the hilt, lol.

Ok, this is all insane. I may have just completely changed my mind about pursuing ANY gymnastics now. It's for fun - that sort of money is ridiculous.
The warm ups and bag to me are totally understandable, it's a competitive sport so it's expected. Same goes for a softball team, ice skating team, volleyball, etc.....it just comes with the territory.
There are many more fees and other "extra" items that most other parents can tell you about that can definitely fall under the "ridiculous" category.
But warm ups and team bags are pretty standard and normal.

It was the $10,000 per year comment above that made me say the money was ridiculous. I don't mind paying for group lessons for my toddler; she does love it. But I might just not allow any real competitive stuff beyond this, if it requires crazy money beyond a few leotards and a gym bag. I'm just not convinced it would be worth it or necessary for a happy, successful kid. :) Luckily, playing in the mud doesn't cost a thing. :)

Its interesting...as the levels go up, the hair insanity goes down...we have watched some level 10 sessions in different states as well as ours... for many the hair was no longer the priority. My kid and I both noticed it. The session right after one level 10 one consisted of level 2s...and their hair was done up to the hilt, lol.
The kids get older. They revolt. They don't want fussy, matchy matchy hair.

Our team wears the same leotard, Levels 1-10. It would be nice to have tank leos for the lowest levels, but then what happens when they move up the next season to the different leotard group and have to buy a new leotard and only use it for 1 season? So even though Level 1 pays the same as Level 10, at least they don't have to buy 2 uniforms in 2 years. (We get new leos/warm-ups every 2 years.)
Yep same at our gym. Coaches are mindful of costs no matter the level. This is the most expensive leo have ever had at around 250. And it is not overdone with bling. And it was requested by the parents.

It was the $10,000 per year comment above that made me say the money was ridiculous. I don't mind paying for group lessons for my toddler; she does love it. But I might just not allow any real competitive stuff beyond this, if it requires crazy money beyond a few leotards and a gym bag. I'm just not convinced it would be worth it or necessary for a happy, successful kid. :) Luckily, playing in the mud doesn't cost a thing. :)

This is a tough one. It does cost a lot, but really, any activity/sport comes with cost. ANd the lessons they learn are invaluable. I cannot imagine my son without gymnastics. It is such a part of him. but yes, tuition, meet fees, uniforms, coach fees, travel fees, etc do add up. But you should be prepared for that with any activity your child might pursue, to varying degrees.

It all depends on the child too. My older DD (gymmie) is wise beyond her years, she's a great student with no effort, and she loves training as much as she does, now we did change gyms for financial reasons, but I was certain to find her a different gym because this is what she loves, I was determined to keep her living her dream instead of just quitting entirely. She is actually off this week because she doesn't start at the new gym until next week, and she got in a fight with me this morning because she couldn't figure out what day it was, she is lost without the structure gym training provides.
My younger DD on the other hand does dance one day a week and sometimes she complains that the one hour practice is too much, she's definitely not fit for gymnastics. She'll do more dance as she gets older but for now I wouldn't dream of paying for more classes because I know she can't handle it yet.
With older DD the training and the life lessons she gets from gym is all worth it.

It all comes down to what's best for your DD and your family, and it's good that you're figuring it all now, as others have said it's much easier to get out of it now than further down the road.

I WISH we could get by with $10,000 per year.....that would be one steal of a deal...

The kids get older. They revolt. They don't want fussy, matchy matchy hair.

You have an answer for everything don't you? And it never comes across as supportive. I don't know if you intend for it to be this way, but I would ask you to think sometimes before you post that your answers are often (and often commented as) being seen as antagonistic or judgmental.

Kids can get older and revolt and the coach can still say no. I coached high school colorguard (same age group as the upper level girls you comment don't want matchy match hair) and it wasn't a choice. It really comes down to gym culture. You made a comment earlier about Xcel girls getting leos to show their place. When my DD was Xcel, her leo was fancier than the compulsory girls. I think at some gyms the culture is that as you move up you get fancier leos. It's sort of an award in and of itself representing the hard work to get there. Others don't. We rent our warm ups and got hand me down leos. This year it will probably be different - new coach wants his own stamp on things. I get that. I did it too as a colorguard coach.

Gymnastics overall has been way more expensive than anything my son has done, including travel ball, which is expensive, and only outcosts gym this year due to the trip to Puerto Rico. What matters more than the cost is how the gym handles it. Are they working with parents who are struggling? Is there a parent group that fundraises to offset costs, etc... Culture to me matters much more than cost. Because in the right culture, the costs will get handled somehow.

I agree with @twinmomma. In the past, my kids' gym has had a multi-level hierarchy for leos and/or warmups. Girls and boys. Gymnastics is expensive to many new families, so many appreciate the costs savings - I sure have. As for Xcel, there is often a difference in overall time/cost expectations, so I'm sure that impacts it.

I've always felt like there is an expectation of the 8/9/10s representing the gym and having more of a justifiable "need" for the nice leo. The same can't be said for a new level 2, as cute as that might well be.

My DD is nearing the point of possibly "finally" having the "highest/best" gear - it's almost a fun rite of passage for them.... But even now I cringe just a bit over the higher costs. :) Because in two years, it'll just be obsolete anyway.

Are there some kids/families on team that see the "hierarchy" as negative? I'm sure. But I'm also sure that if they all had the same leos, they'd find some other way to be dissatisfied.

As for required warmups/bags? Officially, they're optional for the kids at DD's gym, but they all get the warmups anyway. Some do opt for a different bag... but it's quite noticeable. ;) Some kids care and some don't. My DD does, so she got the bag.

$180 isn't bad for a leo. unless you have to get a new one every year. luckily our gym keeps them for 2 years. last year dd got a new leo and this year she will get a new jacket. luckily i bought too big when i first bought her the jacket. she didn't need one b/c she wasn't supposed to compete that year but she ended up competing the last 2 meets and states that year. so we got 3 1/2 years use out of it! gym mom score!

she's on backpack #2. we got 3 years use out of the first one. they went from a plain black to an UA that was white (eeek!). they did that last year but i made her keep the black one another year last year. this year it was just too smelly so she got a new one.

we don't have hair or feet requirements other than the coach finally outlawing UGGS for awards b/c it looked sloppy on the podium. levels 3,4 and 6 did matching flip flops with ribbons. i made matching hair bows for dd's level 6 team. it was a lot of work but fun and the girls loved them and they all matched.

have you got your meet fees yet? the uniform fees are just a warm up for that. o_O:p

ps - our team girls, regardless of level or whether they are JO or Excel wear the ***same leo***. it makes for an impressive team photo come photo day. our boy's team is the same way. all levels have the same uniform. i also don't know of any team around here (MA) that doesn't have one team leo for all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back