WAG Article on fearful gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you scroll down, you'll see a coach's response that shows that often they do understand and they face similar fears & issues. I thought that both of them together were excellent.

If you scroll down, you'll see a coach's response that shows that often they do understand and they face similar fears & issues. I thought that both of them together were excellent.
Funny, I just saw the blog with the coaches response in my email. I came back on here to repost it ;)

I too thought it was excellent!

Made me tear up. I think it describes my DD's feelings about the last couple years of her career.

Thanks for sharing! I was a fearful gymnast and try to be patient with my girls who are facing fears and get a little creative in breaking things down and helping them take small steps towards conquering those fears. That's not to say I don't periodically slip up and get frustrated with a kid, so the post is a good reminder of what it's like to be in the gymnast's shoes.
I also loved the response from the coach, because sometimes you do need to give the gymnast a "time out" from the skill, especially if they are balking or getting themselves worked up to a point that could be detrimental or cause more stress. It doesn't mean I'm mad or think you are incapable of doing the skill, I just think you need a break to cool down. And it's important for the gymnast to know that what I do is from a place of love (though the same cannot be said for all coaches when it comes to dealing with fears). I have 2 girls who are struggling with beam fears at the moment and I feel as though I am constantly nagging them, pushing them, torturing them, etc. and hope they aren't getting the sense I enjoy doing it! But man, I sure do enjoy when the result is them making steps forward and feeling great about what they've worked through!

I cried after reading the two articles. Since I've been running into some big fear issues lately, something unusual for me, it hit me right in the heart! I feel very blessed to have had moved to a gym where my coach has a viewpoint like the one in the article, and works to help me get through my fears instead of ignoring me for it.

Thanks for sharing! My DD has been here before. It comes and goes. Brought tears to my eyes.

This is so accurate. I've always been a fearful gymnast. Love the coach's response as well. I hope I'm getting that same vibe across to my gymnasts.

I printed it out for my DD today and she's read it four times already, plus she read it aloud to two of her teammates during carpool home from the gym tonight. They all loved it and could relate! I'll have to show DD the coach's response article tomorrow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back