WAG Australia - levels and streams

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Phaelyn

Proud Parent
My 5 year old dd has just started gymnastics last term and after attending a few rec sessions was moved to a development team, training 2 hours a week.

being new to gymnastics I have NO idea how things work, and haven't found a great deal of info about the Australian system online. Can someone provide a brief outline of levels and streams, as well as average age range and training time for levels?

It partly depends on which state you're in - often the lowest level stream is run at a state level only. So, starting from the bottom, there is State Stream (in some states). Usually levels 1-10. Can be competitive or non-competitive. If your gym runs a Rec (recreational) program, it is most likely a state stream program. (At least this is my understanding.)

Then there is National stream, also known as NDP (National Development Program), and sometimes referred to as the Levels Program. There are levels 1-10. This stream gears girls towards competing at a national level, representing their state. This stream is administered by Gymnastics Australia.

The top level is International or elite stream, also known as IDP (International Development Program). The levels in this go as follows: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10. After that, there is International Junior level and then International Senior level (must be turning 16 that year). IDP 1 corresponds approximately to NDP 3. This stream is for developing gymnasts who will compete internationally, representing Australia. Gymnasts are usually selected into this stream by the time they are 8 or 9. Occasionally an NDP gymnast will transfer across at a higher level, but this is unusual as the levels do not correspond, and NDP gymnasts do work on different skills than IDP gymnasts. This stream is also administered by Gymnastics Australia.

As for age range, I can't really help you with that, sorry!

I'm not too sure on averages etc, but I can let you know that my 8 year old ndp1 trains 4 hours a week. She moved up from rec a few weeks ago.

Edit: we are in WA.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using ChalkBucket mobile app

As above yes there are three main streams - state (if offered in your state), national (ndp) and international (idp). The most commonly offered stream is ndp, very very few clubs offer idp (and you'd probably know if you were being offered it), quite a few do state stream.
At 2 hours per week and 5 years old she is probably in a pre-levels development program with the aim to compete ndp 1 next year as a junior.

ndp to compete you must be turning 6 in the calendar year.
As for average ages:
NDP 1 Juniors are turning 6 or turning 7
Intermediates are turning 8 or 9 and by far the largest group
Seniors 10 or over.

so therefore ndp 2 juniors are turning 6-8, intermediates turning 9-11 etc.

Kids pretty much always start competing at level 1.

Average hours - just a guess
ndp 1 - 4 or maybe 6
ndp 2 - 6-8
ndp 3 8-10
ndp 4 12+

Thanks!

drop off and pick up is pretty crazy so have no idea what the plans are for her at this stage; and given she's only a few months into her gymnastics journey I'm not too worried at this point, as long as she's having fun :)

I *think* dd will end up NDP 1 from the posts above, although the gym offers IDP as well. Will need to wait and see how she goes... She may even go back to Rec or quit! ( I don't think she'd like that idea though!)

i love/fascinated hearing/reading this info from across the pond. :)

So I coach and train in a gym where state stream (SS), National Development Program (NDP) and International Development Program (IDP) are all offered. Note that my average ages are based on my club.

State Stream: Technically the bottom stream but it is becoming a more normal path for gymnasts to take in place of NDP. It is less competitive, easier to make it to state and once you get to level 4 you can elect to drop an apparatus if you wish. The skills I find are not too different to the equivalent NDP level the gymnasts are generally a little older. The average level 4 SS gymnast at my gym at the moment would be about 10 or 11 and the average age of the Level 7 SS (highest we have at the moment) is probably around 14/15 (range is 12/13 - 18). The SS levels go as follows - Levels 1 - 3 SS are called preparation 1, 2 and 3 and from level four it is SS. They typically will train less hours. Moving to NDP from SS is pretty easy. Gymnasts will only ever compete up to a state level.

National Development Program: This used to be the standard path for kids to follow but is becoming smaller as state stream becomes larger (at least where I am). The levels are fairly similar to SS but with more room to upgrade routines to be harder with more bonuses. The gymnasts are younger with the Level 7 NDPs average age probably around 12 and the Level 4s around 9 i think. It is a bit harder to qualify for state but I am pretty sure everyone at my club did this year. You will only compete to a state level up until I think level 6 or 7 and then in level 7 or 8 (i think its 7/8) you start to compete at a national level as the name implies.

International Development Program: This is a highly selective stream that selects children at around age 5 to follow the elite path. Athletes are younger, train more hours and are generally more talented. This is the only path that allows for international competition.

NDP 1 vault - straight jump to 2 crash mats
NDP 2 vault. - handspring to flat back on 60-90 cms of mats

NDP 1 bars - bent knee swings, pullover, cast to horizontal. Forward roll to tuck hang, glide swing.
NDP 2 bars - same as level 1 but also back hip circle and tap swings on high bar

NDP 1 beam - kneeling scale mount, side passé to forward passé steps, walks in releve, 1/2 turn in releve, walks back wards, straight jumps, jump off side dismount.
NDP 2 beam - arabesque, forward kicks, L handstand, side to forward passé steps, 2 connected straight jumps.

NDP 1 floor - step hops, spring steps, straight jump, forward roll, cartwheel, forward kicks, handstand, backward roll and bridge.
NDP 2 floor - bridge kick over, chasse step hops, cartwheel, spring steps. Stride jump, handstand forward roll, jump 1/2 turn, forward kicks, 1/2 turn on 1 foot and backward roll to front support.

These routines are used in most states but they are not used in QLD.

Aussiecoach - so how do QLD use different ndp routines? I thought they'd have to be the same? (or like schooling will it all come together one day, lol). What are the differences?

They don't have to be the same for level 1-3, because you don't compete nationals or national clubs in level 1-3. So gymnasts won't compete against gymnasts from other states at any stage, so QLD has its own set of routines. All other Australian states use the NDP routines at least to some degree.

BTW don't get me started on the national curriculum. Every kid in the country learning the exact same thing certainly gives some government official a lot of power. Even the power to brain wash a whole generation. The curriculum is very PC, includes some things that are only being taught to influence our international relations and other things not being taught that really should be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back