Back Extension Role!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

shawnjohnsonfan

Can anyone help me to get this down?
Im having trouble with it

Not sure what trouble you are having. But, when starting your arms should be slightly behind your ears, with your middle fingers touching. Make sure you don't drop them in front of you when you start to go. Your arms should be the first thing to hit the floor, not your head. Shoot your toes toward the ceiling & stay hollow.

Hope this helps.

Really think about keeping your legs together and your butt squeezed, and then SLAM your arms into the ground when you roll back. This will propel you to a handstand. Then you should work on squeezing your stomach in order not to arch, but for me the biggest thing is just remembering to push hard at the right moment (you'll find the right moment through practice).

What part of the skill are you having trouble with? Make sure you keep your arms straight! When people are learning them at my gym, the straight arms always gives them the most trouble. You want to almost smack the ground with your hands...you can't go really slow or you won't make it over! I have a bunch of drills for a back extension roll, if you want them, just ask me!

I "cheat". For learning the back extension roll I do the following:

1. As mentioned above, keep your arms by your ears.
2. Sit on your heels quickly while starting to roll backwards in a tuck. (Don't lean forward)
3. As your shoulders hit the floor open your shoulders and extend your tuck toward the ceiling. Kicking out of the tuck will make it easier to get to handstand.

Once you've got the timing down, you can work on having a more hollow entry instead of tucked since a back extension roll is basically a progression for a free hip to handstand and you really can't do bars in a tucked shape.
In this skill, speed is your friend so learn to use your roll to do the work and time the shoulder opening to come from your candlestick shape.

possibly...you are unclear about the importance of the role that your roll plays in your roll.

Back extension roll in tuck, then pike, then hollow/prone/pushup and progressively higher towards HS.

Work down a cheese/incline/wedge or panel mat.

Straight arms, shoulders in ears, head in.

Sit fast. One of my boys sits ridiculously slow and doesn't get it. It's not a sit, it's a drop like a fall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back