Back Flexibility problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kalgymcoach

Coach
Judge
Hi, I have a 9 yo gymnast who has struggled for a long time with her back flexibility. We have been doing a lot of excercises to help with this problem. Shoulder flex is good now, and hip flex is as well. But she complains and cry's when doing bridges and walkovers (which is getting there, after a lot of work). I am also her mother so I am becoming concerned about this problem. When I spot her for back handsprings she says it doesn't hurt Any help would be appreciated. She has been doing gymnastic's since she could walk and this has only become a major problem over the last 2 years.

is she crying cause there's pain at her panty line? and what body type does she have? endo, ecto or meso?

no she says the pain is half way between her shoulder blades and the middle of the back, I don't know what her body type is, but she is quite small and lean, have just looked it up and I would say she was an ecto.

My DD used to get pain mid-back from bridges and walk-overs, and a physio told us that some people have a 'hinge' in their back, where the back bends more at one particular joint. Improving her shoulder flexibility has helped. She still has to be careful not to practice too many walkovers in one session. I'm surprised your DD would still get this if her shoulder flexibility is good. I would get this checked out.

Thanks Nicki, I may have to get it checked out, the only reason her shoulder flex is good, is because we have done a lot of work on them. Thinking that is what is was. It's just like she doesn't bend in her back at all. When I spot her that's what it feels like.

I had a kid like this once. Her parents took her to the ortho, who found a "condition". I would suggest you do the same, and sooner is way better than later.

i would get it checked.:) ecto's don't normally have pain at that point of the spine.

I have a hypermobile child, who also hinges in the back, has always had amazing shoulder flexibility and complains of pain in the exact same area. The situation has been improved with extensive physiotherapy, but it has been a long, slow process.

I agree with the above posters, get it checked out and I would advise sooner rather than later.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back