back handspring help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started gymnastics in July/August and right away had a pretty good back handspring. Then about 5 weeks ago I started turning my head to the side and now I can't break the habit :(. Three weeks ago I was practicing back handsprings and because I tuned my head and went crooked my left arm missed the floor, got pinned under me, and I pulled my deltoid. Tonight was my first time practicing bhs again and my one coach was disappointed and said I should be making more progress by now. Any suggestions how to keep my head going back straight? Is it a mental thing? I've been practicing them over a barrel like crazy and they put colored mats in front of me and behind me to spot. My coaches are worried I'm going to hurt myself again if I don't stop turning my head and twisting my body.

Hmm...I would think just keep practicing while focusing on making the correction. Maybe ask your coach if using a band over the arms & behind your head might help. I do that with some of my girls when they tend to turn their heads & drop their arms from their ears...or maybe try holding bean bags against your head with your arms (I saw that in another thread). Good luck!

I had this problem on an off while I was learning. I would look over my shoulder to try and spot the floor. I would even feel myself starting to do it before I jumped. What helped me was going back to the basics and doing drills again. Mainly standing in front of a resi and jumping back to a flat back. I did that a million times and one day the crooked habit was gone.

I had this problem on an off while I was learning. I would look over my shoulder to try and spot the floor. I would even feel myself starting to do it before I jumped.

That's exactly what I started doing, but I'm not usually aware of myself doing it. Sometimes the bhs feels fine, but I've actually traveled a couple feet sideways from where I started. Next time I'm at gym I'll ask my coach if a pit is open or if we can set up an area for me to practice flat blacks. Maybe if I do a ton of them and bhs over barrels I'll straighten out!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back