Back handspring on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so I just got my back walkover on the high beam. I am comfortable with it now, so I was thinking maybe I should start working back handsprings. But as of now, I would NEVER try a back handspring on the high beam. If I missed my hands I would kill myself! Of course I'm going to practice them on the low beam first except I don't have enough confidence yet to do it on the low beam either. Does anyone have tips for doing a back handspring on beam? Also any thoughts? Like what you start to think about to not be scared when doing it? Thanks!

Just start by doing your backhandspring on a floor line. Then, once you can do it with your hands on the line, move to a low beam, but put panel mats on each side. Gradually unfold the panel mats, when you are ready! Just work your way up the beams, and you will eventually have it on the high beam!

Don't think about missing your hands, though! I have missed my hands on my BHS 3 times on a high beam, and I was fine! It really doesn't hurt nearly as bad as you think it will! But just think about pushing all the way through your legs and your toes in your jump, and keeping your arms tight when they hit the beam. Keep your hips square, and you've got it! Just make sure you work your way up the beams gradually so you don't scare yourself! Learning new skills is always scary, so don't get to stressed out over it. You can do it, just make sure you believe in yourself!

I would try doing what gymfan said it works!! As for missing your hands is not very likely unles you totally like jump side ways into the bhs. your body know where to be so you will be fine. As for not being scared try visualizing yourself to the bhs 3 times perfect befoere you go. Or you could count 1...2...3... go!!!! hope this helps

What my dd tells herself re missing hands is that at least one hand is going to be on the beam, so you'll be fine. She actually once did a one handed back handspring by accident and stuck it.

try backhandsprings up onto a panel mat to increase hip lift. also, hands rarely miss on bhs on beam, to be honest. make sure you get your hands right, however, on a floor beam, or with panels on the sides of the low beam when trying, before you go to high beam. hands need to be one in front of the other, and it doesn't matter which hand is in front, it's whatever is comfortable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back