Parents Back handspring on the beam!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Right?! This is still fairly new to me, so I'm just realizing it's odd she has the one before the other...she got ROBHBT like a month ago, which also seems out of order? Bars are just hard, I guess!

Congrats! That's awesome! I am amazed that she is allowed to train them! At our gym you cannot start training them until you are nearly done with level 4 and ready for 5.

That's awesome! Backwards skills on the beam are a big deal. Kips will come, they are a hard one.

Congrats! That's awesome! I am amazed that she is allowed to train them! At our gym you cannot start training them until you are nearly done with level 4 and ready for 5.
I know! They have her working with the team girls even though she competed as a 3 in the spring? Not really sure of their plan.... She was doing Giants on strap bar the other day! I shall trust in the coaches, I guess!

Great for your DD!!!! and awesome that the gym has her moving ahead with those kinds of skills even though no kip yet. It will indeed come :)

A neighbor who is a cheer mom saw the video and said her back tuck is really more of a whip at this point? I've never heard of that (and didn't really understand the difference when she tried to explain) but I'm still super proud of her! I'm sure they will work on the technique.

A whip is more of a high back handspring with no hands. They are tricky! DD had to do them for TOPs. She says a back tuck is easier.

How old is your dd? She looks like she is the same age in your profile pic as my dd who is 8.

She is 7. (8 in February so you're close!) And good to know..thanks! This is a crazy world to figure out..I played softball! lol

And tell me about tops please!! I know there is a school about 90 minutes from me who does it and I've heard tell our school is looking into it. I'm not saying she's a superstar, but she is really doing well and sooooo commited...I want to give her the best chance to succeed if she's willing to put all these hours in!

You can look at the TOPs program on the USAG website. But basically it includes strength, flexibility and skills training. I do not have a gymnastics background either so I am not much help!

Thank you! Yes, I have looked at that site. I guess my question is if it is just for ultra competative elite-track kids? Which my daughter would love to be, but we live in Syracuse so I'm not sure if that type of training is an option?

I don't think it is for super elite kids. Anyone can train and test. Our gym picked which girls they train and take to the testing. You have to pass some minimum requirements at our gym. You need to be able to do at least 30 L leg lifts, 25 hollow body chin ups, 5 press handstands, hold your handstand for 30 sec. And have your full splits, straddles, etc...

How close are you to Rochester? I believe RGA does TOPS and has had kids on the TOPS teams in the past...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back