Back Handspring (Short)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2legit2quit

Here's what it looks like:

YouTube - Handspring

I think the second half is long enough (hands to feet) but the first half (feet to hands) is really really short. How do I make it longer and more powerful? Are there any drills that I can practice to improve the first half in particular?

You're right, you want to stretch out the first flying phase. You're undercutting it. Focus on the squat position, making sure that the backwards motion is starting from the very beginning as if you're sitting back into a chair. Also work on really extending your legs on the takeoff, pushing off your toes. I noticed that you're sort of whipping your head back and getting an arch position before you've even left the ground - in other words, you're doing all the work by throwing your head back rather than pushing off your legs with your body tight, which is causing you to whip right back around and place your hands basically where your feet started.

I guess the drill I would recommend to you would be the "jump back onto a whale/Resi mat" drill. I wish drills had names... But basically you're going to stand in front of a whale mat and find a nice, hollow shoulder position before swinging your arms, extending off your legs, and landing in tight arch on the mat.

Try sitting back into it more. If you slow the video down you can see that when you push off your knees are in front of your feet. You should be almost at the point of falling on your butt when you push/jump back. The first phase is short as you go up more than back, this will change if you sit back more.

Push through your feet when you jump backwards. Sometimes, that helps your body just to do the right thing, and push back. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back