back tuck 1/2 turn

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
QUestion:

How do I introduce back tuck 1/2 turn ? We need it on the uneven bars and on floor.

What I read is to let them do a back tuck and then 1/2 turn jump. With time they would combine it ...

Does anyone have experience in this drill and knows that it works ?

Another question:

Is it true that a back layout 1/2 turn (uneven bars) is easier than a back tuck 1/2 turn ?

QUestion:

How do I introduce back tuck 1/2 turn ? We need it on the uneven bars and on floor.

What I read is to let them do a back tuck and then 1/2 turn jump. With time they would combine it ...

Does anyone have experience in this drill and knows that it works ?

That drill works great.

Another question:

Is it true that a back layout 1/2 turn (uneven bars) is easier than a back tuck 1/2 turn ?

No.

Hi

Doing the back tuck jump, 1/2 on landing is a good way to introduce and develop a sense of the timing. So that the gymnast understands to do a actual flayway first and then do the twist once they have spotted the ground. Instead of trying to twist early right of the release.

If the gymnast can do a layout fine on the HB. then a Layout 1/2 is considerably easier to twist mechanically then a tuck.. However overall a tuck a 1/2 as a skill is pretty darn easy really.

What i suggest to you is to encourage your gymnast to spot the ground, and then initiate the twist while maintaining visual contact with the ground (it will help the landing a lot).
As she spots the ground she should begin extending the body and simultaneously initiate the twist. Being able to perform an open tuck flyaway is also pretty helpful here (Open tuck means that the gymnast does not grab the knees, and is not as tightly tucked during the flyaway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back