Back walkover on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've had my back walkover on beam for 2 years now and I usually always land it except lately as soon as my hands hit the beam I already know I'm not going to land it because I'm not even in close to being in line with the beam anymore... what am I doing wrong ?

What helps me is to keep the leg I'm standing on as straight as possible and to try to lift my other leg as my hands move towards the beam. It makes it easier to maintain control. You may also want to try going slower. Think about these three positions:

Starting: Standing straight up with shoulders extended and arms above head. Hips are square. One leg is on the beam and the other out in front, either resting on the beam or lifted into the air.

Handstand: Hands are on the beam, with heels together and fingers on the sides. Legs are straight and in a split position. Back is straight. Hips are square.

Landing: Lunge position with feet about a foot apart. Arms tight by ears. Shoulders up.

Good luck! :)

I totally agree with fishchimes' post. I also sometimes have that problem because I kinda push my hips forward. keeping your leg up really helps with that but remember once you've started, just keep going. If this makes sense, you have to relax and trust yourself that you're going to make it. This way your body moves all together in one motion instead of being a several step thing, you lean back>handstand>finish very smoothly. This is what helped me:D I hope it helps you too!

I always had a huge problem with being crooked. I'm pretty sure I actually managed to stick a backwards tinsica on the beam in a meet once. I finally learned to fix it by concentrating on pulling my hip in to stay square or it will twist right out until my body is basically in a side handstand position.

make sure you stay square with your hips. and make sure the foot that your standing on is straight on the beam, because it will help you stay square!

and make sure the foot that your standing on is straight on the beam, because it will help you stay square!

The reason I could never land my back walkover on beam was because my foot was crooked! Make sure your foot is completly straight and pointing to the end of them beam. I didn't figure this out until after level 6, but even if it feels wrong to put your foot straight, it works. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back