Back walkover with a little hop

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if there are any tips on how to not jump to my hands when I am about 2 inches from the floor max when I am doing my back walkover. A little background info: I am in x-cel and have been doing gym for about 3 years and have had my back walkover for that long although the hop is a recent addition.
Thank You in advance

Actually if anything I have gained more flexibility not that I even need it. I am able to have my hands clasped together and go from front to back with them still clasped. I hope that makes sense and doesn't gross anyone out.

I am having trouble imagining what this looks like. Some video would help!

yes.^^^^^^^^^^^^^what you have decribed is a bit dangerous.

Jumping from the standing foot to the hands is pretty common in my opinion, although generally in the learning phase of the walkover...it's probably most common error. If you already have had your back walkover, I would recommend you do it a couple times without kicking over...i.e. just reach back and land in the bridge with one foot up. Then see if you can kickover from there. It might not be all shoulder flexibility...tight hip flexors can throw the beginning phase of the back walkover out of whack also.

Probably the main thing is the hopping at the angle it happens is hard on the wrists. Or if they aren't strong enough they don't have enough momentum pushing their shoulders over their hands and they collapse.

Nicki and Dunno unfortunately I do not have video and there is no way of me getting video since the gym does not have a viewing area. I will try to explain a little bit more not sure how much it will help though. So as I am going back it looks like a regular back walkover and then just as my hands are about to reach the ground I do what my coaches call jump to my hands. I hope this helps a little as to what it looks like.
Gymdog thank you for your suggestions.

I completely understand what you mean, I do it myself if I'm not paying enough attention to what I'm doing ;P I find it happens when I throw my hips forwards and my supporting leg bends. Try to imagine you are bending up and over a wall or block, and have to stay tall the whole time. You do not want to slouch back and push your hips forward while relaxing your back. Try to maintain this position, with a strong supporting leg as you bend back. I hope this helps/makes sense, good luck with your back walkovers!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back