Parents Bad eczema exacerbated by gym class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 4 year old has bad eczema. I am winning the battle everywhere but on her upper thigh. I think running/sweating at the gym is the cause. She sees a derm and I have steroid cream for her. It works till the next gym class. We have tried bar shorts, bigger leos, smaller leos... Does anyone think gymtek or other wicking material would help?

I have no answers for you...but I feel your pain. My 9 year old DD has eczema, and gym does seem to make it worse. Winter is horrible!! In addition to prescription creams, we also use Vanicream, which is OTC, but you usually need to ask for it behind the pharmacy counter. I get mine at Target.

We use cerave cream and it works but we use it every day needed or not. When he looks bad then we do the steriod cream both morning and night first then a layer of the cerave. Good luck!!

Our routine is steroid cream morning and night and cerave all over the body. Everything else has calmed down but the groin is horrible and I can't win. I called her derm, they are booking March appointments. Helpful, right

Since your DD is 4 I assume she is in pre school Rec class. Is she allowed to wear cotton shorts & a tank top to gym? Our gym allows rec kids to wear shorts. You might want to try that throughout the winter.

Ouch! That sounds painful. DD gets hers on her back and fortunately she can't get at it to itch it too much.

Have you tried dye free / perfume free detergents with a second rinse?

One thing her allergist has said that I try to remember is that often times it is not one thing that takes them over the edge. Its an accumulation of many different things. She does so much better with a daily antihistamine and lotion. Also, bubble bath is a no go this time of year.

When DD's won't go away I use hydrocortizone. I don't like to use it often because it is a steroid, but it clears it up fast when I need it.

Since your DD is 4 I assume she is in pre school Rec class. Is she allowed to wear cotton shorts & a tank top to gym? Our gym allows rec kids to wear shorts. You might want to try that throughout the winter.

They, of course, encourage leotards, but do allow tank tops and shorts. I might have to look for some longer shorts or maybe even yoga capris. She has a (fake) under armour wicking type tank top that she likes to wear. Maybe (this is a a huge maybe) I can convince her to skip the leotard and wear that. (She loves leotards, possibly more than gymnastics). I also was thinking about having her wear a ballet leotard without a skirt bc they are more of a cotton material and they seem to be cut a little different in the rear end.

Ouch! That sounds painful. DD gets hers on her back and fortunately she can't get at it to itch it too much.

Have you tried dye free / perfume free detergents with a second rinse?

One thing her allergist has said that I try to remember is that often times it is not one thing that takes them over the edge. Its an accumulation of many different things. She does so much better with a daily antihistamine and lotion. Also, bubble bath is a no go this time of year.

You just made me think of something! I have been using dryer sheets bc they were buy one/get one! I wonder if that is part of the problem, since it doesn't get rinsed out and the scent just stays on her clothes.
Can I be nosy and ask which antihistamine you use? We tried Claritin and Zyrtec but she seemed to have anxiety on them. Singulair has been suggested to me. I know, I feel so bad that she doesn't get the privilege of playing in the bath like so many kids do!

That could be it. My DDs are really sensitive to dyes and perfumes and that always sets them off.

My DDs use claratin - the grape chewable kind. Singulair was a disaster for us (their excema was awful and uncontrolled). Before they were old enough to use claratin, we used Benedryl and that worked pretty well.

I hear you on the bath! We still play (without the bubble bath and other fun stuff) but unfortunately we can only do bath a few times a week (strategically on gym nights -- goodness they need it then -- I swear they are going to come out completely white one night!)

We can give Benadryl without her behavior changing. Unfortunately, it makes her really loopy. Hahaha, I swear I have the dirtiest kids on earth. My 2 year old gets so smelly!!!

The unscented variety of California Baby brand body wash worked wonders for us. It is available at Target.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back