Bars that won't hold chalk

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nevertooold

We are having an ongoing issue with getting any chalk to build up or stay on our bars. We have 4 sets of AAI bars, 2 are old, 2 are newish, maybe 3-4 yrs old, and some older S/A bars. Chalk won't stick to any of them. We have tried the cheap chalk and the expensive chalk (Italian grippy). We have tried chalking the bar just before use, and the night or morning before so it has time to dry well. We have tried chalking w/out water, w/ water and with water w/ honey in it. We have tried not letting the Girls use water on their grips and letting them use water on their grips. We have tried keeping the girls w/out grips on separate bars from the girls with grips, and vice versa. Nothing makes any difference. Any chalk we attempt to put on our bars is wiped off on the next girls turn. Seriously.The only time we get any chalk buildup whatsoever is when the sweaty little gripless girls who play in the chalk use the bars. They can get a build-up but the first girl with grips who touches the bar next literally wipes it clean again.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sometimes this happens at our gym under certain weather conditions, I believe when it's humid it doesn't stick? Something like that. On those days though we spray water on the bars and just rub chalk everywhere and it will stick for a few turns. And from my experience cheaper chalk doesn't work as well. But in your case it doesn't seem to make a difference! Could it be the grips texture wiping off all the chalk? (too smooth or too rough?) Sorry I'm no help!

yes. when it's humid it's harder for the chalk to take hold. here's what you can do. and by someone that knows what they're doing. you take a piece of fine sandpaper and scuff the rail in the working area up and down. not longways. just enough to make 'small' contrast grooves in the rail. the chalk will then 'build up' on that area. and when weather conditions change the chalk will stay put.
if the owner is not confident, have them call aai and they'll send a picture of how you do it.

now first, before this method is attempted, and it will only take 1 more night...get a sponge and a can/bottle of regular coca cola. pour it on the sponge and wipe it on the bar. several times to get a build up. then before it completely dries, chalk the area. make a mess. use the coke and chalk liberally. let it dry overnight. the coke will rough the bar and 'open' the laminate just a bit. it won't ruin the bar. the coke will just make the rail a bit grainy. use for a couple of days and then repeat. if this does not work within a weeks work then you'll have to use the sandpaper.

Gotta love that thought process... I got coke... I got a sponge... Hmmm... If only I had a bar and some chalk...:pIs there anything coke can't do?Anyway... Enough amusement.. I know karo syrup works well on the boy's p-bars, but I have yet to try it on the girls bar. I simply chalk ours up everyother day... Might try the coke thing, though... Unless someone can vouch for karo working..?

Today we coked and chalked the bar. It felt really good, nice and rough right afterwards. Then about 2 hrs later a little one walking under the bar grabbed it and gave a little swing and it wiped right off :( it basically dried and then just flaked off, so we rubbed it off which was unfortunately really easy to do with just a bare hand, it just fell right off. We redid it at the end of the evening and left it. We'll see how it is in the morning.I'll give it a chance, but we may end up having to go to sandpaper.And yes our gym is very humid.

Coke did not help so on to the sandpaper.Dunno, do you recommend roughing using the sandpaper flat as in back and forth around the bar with the paper wrapped around the bar using your whole hand the way you might grind chalk into the bar? Or fold the paper and use the edge to try to make individual grooves in the bar? Groove it until you can see the grooves or just give a few good swipes and then chalk it?Thanks!!

left to right. do NOT go circular around the bar.
Your previous post says up and down not longways.Is it up and down? Or left to right? Left to right seems like it would be smoothing along the grain not roughing against the grain?

sorry about that...had boys bar on my mind for some reason. yes, up and down and over the areas where they put their hands.

p.s. thanks for asking a 2nd time.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back