Parents Beam deduction question (youngsters)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipnastic

Proud Parent
my dd had her first meet today (5 y/o level 2). She saluted, walked to the beam and touched it, got confused on what side to start on and walked to the other side, coach corrected her and directed her to the correct side.

Just curious if the judges deduct for this and how much?

Lol..definitely not something that would have made a difference...she had quite a few deductions BUT...she did remember to salute before and after every routine and didn't forget any routine! Lol! It was a fun day and she was happy as could be when it was over...asking if she could do another compitition tomorrow

My dd got a .5 deduction for touching the beam before mounting it at her first meet. It never happened again. :)

I don't know the official rule, but dd's coach specifically asked, because other than the touch , she had a good beam routine. The judge said she got a .5 deduction for touching, that it was the same as a fall.

Once they touch the beam, the time starts. This is why there is level 2, imnsho....it teaches so much. I want level 2 again!!!!

I agree!
Once they touch the beam, the time starts. This is why there is level 2, imnsho....it teaches so much. I want level 2 again!!!!
I agree!!! We were going to wait another year or two, but she kept begging. I'm so glad we decided to let her start to figure it all out. And she had a blast. It's also nice at this age when they can compete, but could care less about scores.

Wait, was she on the wrong side to start out with, or did she get confused and think she was on the wrong side so she walked around after touching the beam, but she was actually on the right side all along?

My dd did level 1 and 2, and the coach had each kid stand at the beam on the side they needed to be on before saluting. They saluted and then either mounted the beam or turned around and mounted the beam if they were on the side that was not facing the judges. I have no idea how the coach kept straight which kids were lefties and righties and the team was huge, but I never saw a kid mount on the wrong side of the beam because the coach made sure they were on the correct side. I'm sure that if it were up to the kids, there would have been a lot of kids on the wrong side.

Wait, was she on the wrong side to start out with, or did she get confused and think she was on the wrong side so she walked around after touching the beam, but she was actually on the right side all along?

My dd did level 1 and 2, and the coach had each kid stand at the beam on the side they needed to be on before saluting. They saluted and then either mounted the beam or turned around and mounted the beam if they were on the side that was not facing the judges. I have no idea how the coach kept straight which kids were lefties and righties and the team was huge, but I never saw a kid mount on the wrong side of the beam because the coach made sure they were on the correct side. I'm sure that if it were up to the kids, there would have been a lot of kids on the wrong side.
Lol nah...she was in the right side but got confused and went to the wrong side!

I learn something everyday here! I had no idea there was a deduction for that! But then I have never seen a girl doing that on my DDs team, I wonder if they know that themselves. Now I'm sure your DD will never make that same mistake again! Having fun and enjoying competing its what is all about in level 1/2 I think it's a good idea you decided to let her compete this young so when she gets to higher levels going to meets won't be so scary and stressful. Good luck to her this season! ;)

:p:p:p:p;);):p:p:p
I learn something everyday here! I had no idea there was a deduction for that! But then I have never seen a girl doing that on my DDs team, I wonder if they know that themselves. Now I'm sure your DD will never make that same mistake again! Having fun and enjoying competing its what is all about in level 1/2 I think it's a good idea you decided to let her compete this young so when she gets to higher levels going to meets won't be so scary and stressful. Good luck to her this season! ;)
Haha! Honestly...she may!!! Lol!!! I don't think she really grasps (or even cares to grasp) the idea of deductions, scores, etc..she can learn about all of that next year! Lol!

I don't know about the deduction thing, but timing for beam, judges have always specifically told me not to start the time until the gymnasts feet leave the floor, so I've never started when just the hands touch.

I highly doubt they deducted for this. Maybe could have started timing which would likely lead to overtime (.1) but even that is questionable in this case (they shouldn't start timing in level 2 until the child jumps to initiate the front support mount).

Deducting a fall in this case before the child has mounted the apparatus in level 2 is preposterous. Most judges wouldn't. There is no deduction for "touching the beam before mounting it" - something was lost in translation or the judge was drunk.

Most likely her score is due to her execution deductions, nothing more.

I highly doubt they deducted for this. Maybe could have started timing which would likely lead to overtime (.1) but even that is questionable in this case (they shouldn't start timing in level 2 until the child jumps to initiate the front support mount).

Deducting a fall in this case before the child has mounted the apparatus in level 2 is preposterous. Most judges wouldn't. There is no deduction for "touching the beam before mounting it" - something was lost in translation or the judge was drunk.

Most likely her score is due to her execution deductions, nothing more.
I agree. This said, it happen to my dd, and one other child on her team at two different meets. One meet had a judges clinic afterwards and they flat out told the girl. So, unfortunately it can happen.

I agree. This said, it happen to my dd, and one other child on her team at two different meets. One meet had a judges clinic afterwards and they flat out told the girl. So, unfortunately it can happen.

In terms of the timing or deducting a fall? Timing is usually done by parent volunteers and it is true that sometimes there may be confusion there about when time should start (though most judges maintain that it should be when the child initiates the mount). Deducting a fall when the first skill has not been initiated is a lot more odd.

The timing. Sorry if I misread. It's been a morning....but yes, both girls got deducted for their time. And I agree with you. It's ridiculous. Yes, I get they are trying to teach the girls....but still.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back