Beam Handstand help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has been working on a handstand that she wants to put in her beam routine. She will be repeating the same level as last year (which is comparable to Level 5 USAG). This is a pretty risky move for her since she often arches too much in her handstand and then goes over and can't save it. But, in this particular video she did it very nicely. When doing a handstand press like this, what drills or exercises can she do at home that will help her with this? She has a low floor beam that she could practice on if needed. She only practices twice a week in the gym so maybe a day at home with some drills may benefit her. Thanks in advance for the help!

YouTube - Dani's Beam Handstand

Last edited:
I had the same problem at one point. To fix it, instead of putting my legs together, I kept them straddled the entire time. It is much harder to arch with straddled legs, at least for me in this skill. Hope this helps!

Practising handstands up close against a wall can help to learn to keep a straight body in handstand instead of arching the back.

I think she just should practice the whole move, just on the floor, and trying to hold the handstand for as long as she can before straddling through. It's a matter of balancing. It's a bit easier to balance in the handstand on the beam for most people, but it might help her to think about pressing her fingertips into the side of the beam to counterbalance her weight (same thing on the floor).

Do 30 second handstands against a wall, face in so she looking at the wall, and try to get her feet legs and torso touching the wall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back