Beam - level 7 deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is doing beautifully this year. She barely gets a 9.00 on beam and it frustrates her. I am not complaining. her AA scores are great this year, she is just not one of those 9.8 gymnasts. I realize deductions add up, but what is she getting deducted for in her beam routine? She watches her videos and she is funny because she tries to figure out when the judge is writing and if they are writing alot or a little. I tell her that they need to write what skills you did too.

YouTube - Level 7 Spring Fling Beam

At practice her coach tells the girls to do so many repititions. My daughter rushes through them so she can then work on other skills. I wish she would take her time.

I judged that routine and got a 8.85. I had 9.5 in execution deductions, .1 in rhythm and .05 for both artistry and dynamics. Overall a good routine, she just has some form breaks in her series (I took .4 total between her backwalkover and backhandspring). I also took a little (between .05-.1) on her mount (feet), her V hold (legs), her tuck jump (tuck position), her full turn (body position, leg position), her split leap (legs/amplitude/body) and her dismount (little body/little amplitude). The rhythm isn't smooth through the routine and there are times she seems hesitant, which is where the extra deductions come from, and nothing seems particularly dynamic, which can be seen most apparently in the series connection. Let me know if you have any specific questions I didn't answer!

Thanks so much for your response. She seems so careless sometimes when it comes to her legs. Her routine seems so choppy, but I think it is because they want the girls up on the beam, do the required skills, then get off. There seems to be no choreography to any of the beam routines. I guess the main thing was that connection. She performs backhandspring - backhandspring connection much better. We've got a meet tomorrow she is looking forward to.

She reminds me a lot of my dd. Solid confident routine, but with a lot of little deductions. I would consider taking the V-hold out. She could be losing .2 right there and she doesn't need it. Otherwise, really focusing on straightening out those legs will make a big difference.

I tend to agree with ZJsMom from an untrained eye (but I love to play judge -- sorry gympanda). I apologize if I am too blunt with my comments.

The mount and beginning appear to be long, choppy and somewhat lifeless. Easy mounts happen all the time (like my own daughter's), but usually they are short lived. Hers isn't easy and it certainly doesn't have to be dull but there are just way too many things that were going on that didn't flow well and didn't count for much (except for opportunities for deductions). It took nearly 30 seconds before the meat of the routine actually began.

With the rest of the routine, other than all the things that were pointed out, everything looks pretty good. IMHO, flow and display of confidence take time. A good choreographer helps but she needs the mileage (assuming she knows what to correct). Some gymnast will take longer than others of course. Just curious... How long has she been going gymnastics and at Level 7?

Last edited:
I do not mind any comments at all!

This is her second year doing level 7 and it is the same routine from last year. She is doing the v-sit because that is one of her two B's. She can do all these other skills on beam but you would never know if from this routine. She is beatifully flexible as well. She is always nervous about doing her full turn. Ever since she had to do it in level 6 it has always gotten her. We have a judge that comes in the beginning of the season to critique the girls and one of my daughter's critique that is always first mentioned is her floppy feet.

She is beatifully flexible as well. She is always nervous about doing her full turn. Ever since she had to do it in level 6 it has always gotten her.
For whatever reason, many gymnasts always struggles with the full turn according to our ex-L10 coach. It doesn't matter how long they have done it. My daughter and one of her L7 team mates (the only two who are advancing) have that exact problem. If either one of them can turn without the sign of a near-fall at a meet, they are having a good day on beam.

I would trade the split leap for a split jump and take out the V hold. The backhandspring and split jump will be her two Bs and if she is flexible the split jump shouldn't be a problem. She'll get back about .25 to .3 just by doing that (assuming her split jump is nice).

Or if her backhandspring backhandspring connection is better take out the V hold and do that for the 2 Bs. One of our 7s does BHS BHS and wins consistantly.

I judged that routine and got a 8.85. I had 9.5 in execution deductions, .1 in rhythm and .05 for both artistry and dynamics. Overall a good routine, she just has some form breaks in her series (I took .4 total between her backwalkover and backhandspring). I also took a little (between .05-.1) on her mount (feet), her V hold (legs), her tuck jump (tuck position), her full turn (body position, leg position), her split leap (legs/amplitude/body) and her dismount (little body/little amplitude). The rhythm isn't smooth through the routine and there are times she seems hesitant, which is where the extra deductions come from, and nothing seems particularly dynamic, which can be seen most apparently in the series connection. Let me know if you have any specific questions I didn't answer!

Maybe my mistake, but I thought in level 7 gymnasts weren't judged on artistry and dynamics, or even rhythm?? And that came in level 8, since gymnasts are adjusting to doing their own routines in 7.

EDIT: Okay, since I can't delete this, and now I see that you are a judge so I do believe you haha.

Ah - Don't make the mistake that just because I'm a judge I automatically know what I'm talking about:) In my area we judge with so many different rules, USAG, 2 different AAU leagues with different rules, High School, YMCA...that it is very easy to get things confused. So, I did just check my books to make sure that I wasn't giving out false information!

So, here goes: At Level 7 we do not judge Composition. So, we can't take deductions based on the choices the gymnast/coach makes. However, we can still deduct for artistry (up to .3), rhythm and tempo (up to .2) and dynamics (up to .2). We also have a new deduction this cycle for sureness of performance throughout (up to .2).

Ah - Don't make the mistake that just because I'm a judge I automatically know what I'm talking about:) In my area we judge with so many different rules, USAG, 2 different AAU leagues with different rules, High School, YMCA...that it is very easy to get things confused. So, I did just check my books to make sure that I wasn't giving out false information!

So, here goes: At Level 7 we do not judge Composition. So, we can't take deductions based on the choices the gymnast/coach makes. However, we can still deduct for artistry (up to .3), rhythm and tempo (up to .2) and dynamics (up to .2). We also have a new deduction this cycle for sureness of performance throughout (up to .2).

Thank you :) Composition was the word I was looking for in my previous post instead of artistry. :)

I saw bent legs and not pointing toes in the mount, sort of bent legs in the first back walkover and definitely a bent leg in the back handspring following. That's all I saw. I don't know how to score, but this is what I saw. By the way, her split leap was BEAUTIFUL. =)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back