Off Topic Book recommendations for age 10 girl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

if you want to go really classic there bare also some good Enid Blyton books - P&F Enjoys Mallory Towers and Famous Five. Ransoms Swallows and Amazons ( I can never say that without adding in my mind "forever"). I also really enjoyed the Willard Price adventure series as a child (I was a Tom-boy) but they have been withdrawn from our library as they don't meet their new pc criteria. They are of their age but they are cracking adventure stories.

I got Lemony Snicket out of the library and read the first few pages before she did, I really didn't like it, it was way too dark for me, but then again I wasn't really a fan of Dahl either.

Yeah, I don't think DD would click with "dark" books. She isn't very serious and is kind of a "class clown" sort of kid....someone who likes to make jokes and laugh. She even struggles connecting with male protagonists which was one reason I was surprised that she took to the Wimpy Kid series.

She also scares easily. If it is a book where a female loses her mother, she worries. She was even afraid of the cartoon Up because of some pack of dogs. She wants to watch Hunger Games so badly but I won't let her because I know she will have nightmares!

Some of her gym friends are reading a series where the characters are all Greek goddesses and then each of the gymnasts takes on that character's name but DD just doesn't get into that. She is definitely more of a realistic fiction kind of girl.

My dd is 9 and she is reading the Never Girls series - probably too easy for yours. My older dd really like the Secret series. Also 11 birthdays by Wendy Mass and that series... but I don't remember how old she was when she read them.

Beverly Cleary is great--funny, fast-paced, and realistic. Also Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, the Little House on the Prairie series, and Anne of Green Gables. She may get into Anne of Green Gables more easily if you watch the old PBS miniseries together first. Something more off the beaten path is the Betsy-Tacy series about two imaginative young girls. For a more contemporary choice, my daughter likes the "My Last Best Friend" series, but that may be a little easy for your 10-year-old.

My 10 year old dd loves Michael Morpurgo books (she said that her class teacher taught him years ago - dd has an older male teacher) Dork dairies books (is waiting for the new one in June), Jacqueline Wilson's books, Horrid Henry books, has also got a Gym Stars book by Jane Laws which she loves, she has also read the Harry Potter series. I used to love the Malory Towers and St. Clair's books by Enid Blyton when I was younger and would love my dd to read these

The running dream! I'm blanking on the author. It's about a runner and her injury and she comes back from it. It's really good, I still read it sometimes.

African Safari adventures by anthony Irvin. The first one is called the ant lion and I read it when I was in my teens because my grandparents knew the author but it's aimed at younger children, around 10-12 I think. They are good fun though and pretty far removed from gymnastics stories if she isn't a fan of those!

My dd age 9 loves the kingdom keepers series, set in Disney world and one of the keepers is a gymnast...
She also likes the American Girl books, and Beverly cleary's Ramona series

How about the warrior series by Erin hunter? My girls have both enjoyed those, the youngest just turned 10 and she is loving them, my oldest read them in 2nd grade (she is way advanced though). My oldest at 10 was reading the eragon series, and had finished most of Harry potter. Narnia was another good one, and the dark trilogy (golden compass etc by Philip Pullman) is another great choice. Brandon Mull is another wonderful author for this age group.
Hmmm.... I guess my whole family has a preference for fantasy though.

Jennifer Roy and Julia DeVillers' series about the twins is wonderful! Very light but totally girl positive. DeVillers' Lynn Visible, featuring a quirky protagonist who is trying to survive middle school while pursuing her dream of becoming a designer, is one of DD's favorite books.

I'm really appreciating this thread! My daughter (9.25 years old) has developed a scary aversion to reading this school year and I'm hoping to share some pleasurable reading with her this summer to get her loving it.

I'm thinking of reading the Narnia books aloud to get us started. I also have a 5.5 year old boy and I'm hoping he will enjoy listening with us as well.

Keep the ideas coming!

I'm really appreciating this thread! My daughter (9.25 years old) has developed a scary aversion to reading this school year and I'm hoping to share some pleasurable reading with her this summer to get her loving it.

I'm thinking of reading the Narnia books aloud to get us started. I also have a 5.5 year old boy and I'm hoping he will enjoy listening with us as well.

Keep the ideas coming!
At ages 6-8 my ds loved the How To Train Your Dragon books. At age 9 he got into the Percy Jackson books, and has just read the Tripods trilogy. With fantasy it may depend on the author - some fantasy books ds and I don't like at all, whereas others are our favorites. My dd loved Call of The Wild which is fiction non-fantasy. For parents, I read the book Gold recently, a fiction novel about the lives of 2 olympic cyclists, which was very enlightening about the kind of commitment and sacrifice needed for this kind of path.

A wrinkle in time... There is a gymnastics trilogy my DD loves- the first book is called Balancing Act, by April Adams.
My daughter (10yo) just finished that book and LOVED IT. All three if my girls also read the Number Devil. What an amazing book I read it after my oldest daughter raved about it. This book will teach them some awesome math skills they'll use for school and they won't even know it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back