Off Topic Book recommendations for age 10 girl

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I'm looking for some summer reading fare for DD. She has already read the Dork Diaries and Wimpy Kid series. I'm going to catch her up on the last half of Ivy and Bean.

Any other suggestions? She doesn't tend to like anything "fantasy" and while she loves doing gym, doesn't ever seem interested in reading books about it.

David Walliams! They're great books, and not your normal kiddy stereotype affairs.

Dd1 hated reading until I bought her "The boy in the dress"- She saves her pocket money for each one as it comes out and has loved every one.

Dd (10) loves David Walliams too. She also enjoys Michael Morpurgo - especially a medal for Leroy

Dd (10) loves David Walliams too. She also enjoys Michael Morpurgo - especially a medal for Leroy

Might see if the library has this one. I like the theme as we live in a part of the country not lauded for our racial acceptance and I worry about her picking things up from her peers that don't jive with the attitudes we have in our home. I don't know if she will consider it a "boy book" or not though.

looking forward to some more ideas here. i keep intending to introduce more classics to my daughter who is 9.

i bookmarked this list recently, maybe you'll find a few that interest you here:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2000/mar/24/childrens.library

I like the idea of reading aloud Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. DD loves cats and makes up silly stories about them. This would be perfect for laying in the backyard at night and reading by flashlight.

And I had forgotten about Pippi Longstocking. I used to devour her books. I also thought about Beverly Cleary and have tried to encourage those but DD never seemed to into them.

I'm kind of wondering if she is getting to the "Judy Blume" age yet.

Just been to look at dd's shelf...if she isn't at gym, she has her head in a book!

Yes to Michael Morpurgo, she loves those. Lemony Snickett, although those can be quite dark. Debbie Gliori. David Walliams. The Borrowers - Mary Norton.
Currently reading Journey to the River Sea by Ea Ibbotson and loving it.

i wish my daughter would find the love of reading. she's a great student, but only is willing to read the minimum requirement of time each day. its a chore for her but I'm convinced i just haven't found the right books to hook her yet. this is going to be a priority this summer!

My daughter 11 likes reading stories with strong female leads.Her faves are
Hunger Games , Divergent and the Percy Jackson series.
Last year it was the horse books by Lauren Brooke.
She just finished "Heaven is for Real".
Once she likes a movie she has to read the author. A good library helps.

My daughter 11 likes reading stories with strong female leads.Her faves are
Hunger Games , Divergent and the Percy Jackson series.
Last year it was the horse books by Lauren Brooke.
She just finished "Heaven is for Real".
Once she likes a movie she has to read the author. A good library helps.

I agree about all the above. My DD 10 has loved all the same books, also the Gone series and Maximum Ride series were huge hits with her. She read Judy Blume when she was around 7, so OP, you're mileage may vary in terms of what types and levels of books for your DD. I like to take the girls to the library and make them wander looking at book jackets until they have 5-6 books they think look interesting. They then have to find a comfy spot and read the first chapter of each. If they hate it, they put it back, and if it's still interesting it goes home with us.

Judy blume definitely. Start with tales of a 4th grade nothing, super fudge, double fudge, deenie. All ok for 10yr olds. Harry potter. Even if she doesn't like fantasy, she might like it. Little house on the prairie. Little sister's club series ( its a shoot off of the babysitter's club). Nancy drew. There are a lot of series out there now. If you have a library near you, just peruse the aisles and you will see them. They are a great start because once she gets hooked on one, she will want to read the others.

Ok, just looked back at our old homeschool booklists. Here are some of the more pleasure reading books we used. Alice in wonderland, chocolate touch, tom sawyer, the giver, Narnia, wrinkle in time, Matilda, Charlie and the chocolate factory, Beverly Cleary books, city of ember, freckle juice, A to Z mysteries series (these are really good, short mysteries - there is another series by the same author), Nims island

My 10 yo DD has been reading the Kingdom Keepers series and has really enjoyed it. Great if you enjoy Disney.

DD also loves the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and the Who Was series of biographies, if your DD is into non-fiction. Also good non-fiction is the Basher Books. They teach all kinds of things in fun ways.

i wish my daughter would find the love of reading. she's a great student, but only is willing to read the minimum requirement of time each day. its a chore for her but I'm convinced i just haven't found the right books to hook her yet. this is going to be a priority this summer!

Finding the right books is the key! My DS didn't read much until he found the Percy Jackson series this year...he is now hooked and can read a 300-400 page book in a couple of weeks!

mine really dislikes reading, which is odd as she is so good at it, she was reading her brothers books before starting school ! She does like Terry Pratchett's Wee Free Men books (Hat full of Sky and The Wintersmith), but only if they are read to her, otherwise she prefers to write stories.

DD (nearly 11) is really enjoying Ink Heart, and has saved her pocket money up for the next book in the series.
She is a pain though, she currently has 3 books on the go (1 at home, 1 at school, and 1 spare incase she forgets the others). Don't ask how she keeps on top of them all, it baffles everyone!

When my older dd was 10 she really enjoyed the series of unfortunate events, I think there's 12 books in the series, although it is a more mature series, and it's something only you will know if you dd can handle it or not. The baby sitters club was also one of her favourites, I think she read that series more than once. One book I found at a thrift store was called The Gymnast by Elizabeth levy, she still reads this book occasionally at 16 now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back