Can someone explain vault to me please?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Back in my day everyone did two vaults, and the score was averaged. Men only had one vault.

I didn't notice yesterday whether the men still only did one- is that still the case?

Women. Most seemed to do one vault, some two. I think I get that those who do one vault don't qualify to the vault final. If you do two though is the score average or is it highest score counts?

Why don't more gymnasts do two vaults and give themselves a chance at vault final? There seemed to be quite a few scored 14/15 which would have qualified had they done two vaults.

Complicated!!

Men, and woman, both do two vaults if they want to qualify to event finals for vault. They must be two completely different vaults. If they do two the score is averaged.

SOme gymnasts just do not have the time and power to get a second vault down well enough.

I heard the commentators explaining this yesterday - it is because they have to do vaults with two different entries, and trying to train two completely different vaults to Olympic standard is extremely difficult, I guess its hard enough to get one vault that good!

Thanks. So basically it's down to a gymnast needing 2 vaults, in different classes, which can score on average 14+. If they are weaker on one and it's going to bring their score down then they drop it to keep the team score up...

Yes, as others have said. They only need to one vault to qualify for team finals and all around finals. But they need to do 2 vaults with salts in different directions to qualify for vault finals. So the one who did two vaults would have been vying for a spot in the vault finals.

The nominated first vault is the one that counts for the team score (not the average or the highest of the 2)

The nominated first vault is the one that counts for the team score (not the average or the highest of the 2)

So why do more gymnasts not take a go at second vaults? If it's going to make no difference to the team score, is it not worth having a second one? Some of the scores qualifying to vault final seemed quite low, and I'm sure there's a few gymnasts capable of that with a well executed lower difficulty second vault.

Or does the average count to the individual AA too?

Good question, probably due to the time it's takes to train another entry vault to top class standard. It would take away another apparatus's training time for an all rounder when it's not a necessary requirement.

^ Er no

They average it for qualification for the vault final

For team and AA qualification they take the first score only

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back