WAG Clear Hip Issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD9 just moved to L5 and is learning the new L5 skills. She has gotten all the beam, floor and bars skills EXCEPT the clear hip. Her season doesn't start until summer so we have lots of time to work on this skill, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any tips I could pass along to her? She is super strong (she can already cast to handstand without a coach assist), so I'm not sure if her issue is not understanding the technique, timing, or something else.

If she can cast to HS and she is strong, you are more than half way there. I do lots of spotting in straps to help with technique and timing along with numerous other drills that I'm sure her coaches are aware of. Give it some time, as I find clear hips don't come easy for most girls. I think it's much easier to teach a good giant than a clear hip HS, but it will come. Good luck. :)

I definitely think it's a timing issue. For dd's group, they have been doing lots of drills combined with spotting and just many many attempts over the past year. They are half done with the season, so they all have the skill, but are still doing all the drills and spots to help get it higher and higher, aiming for a handstand. Sounds like your dd has plenty of time to get the skill by summer!

They take time, I recommend that you not give her any advice and leave that up to the coaches.

Lots of spotting. I learnt this skill hated being spotted but it works just have to learn timing I have had them to front support for half a year then at practise just said let's try go to handstand and made it. Lots of practise and thinking why you are doing the skill.

There's a lot going on in a good clear hip that is counter intuitive, just like most of the skills in the sport. Your dd is probably working with a, monkey see-monkey do, model and isn't hearing what the coach is saying because every word out of the coaches mouth is bent to adjust to what, she thinks, rather than what her coach says needs to be done to circle up to a handstand.

Tell her to tell ask the coach to listen to what she thinks the skill is all about, what her priorities and emphasis is while attempting the skill, and then she should listen...... very carefully!

I'll promise you that when she learns the skill she'll be shocked at how different the skill is from what she thought.

Her coach is absolutely fanatical (I can't stress that word enough!) about drills. Everything, even skills she's had for YEARS, begin with drills. She is the type of kid who needs to be told how the drill connects to the execution of the skill. Once she knows that, she will knock out drills like there's no tomorrow. I think because she can straight cast to HS (not clear hip to HS), she thinks she should be able to do the clear hip. She gets very frustrated because she tells her coach that she knows what she needs to do and she knows her body can do it, she just doesn't understand why it WON'T.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back