MAG Clothing for gym summer camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
We have decide last minute to go to Woodward next week. What do boys wear in the gym typically. He has 2 pairs of pommel pants that I wash often, three singlets and several tight fighting shirts he wears to the gym often. He has some athletic shorts that will work too but I need an idea of what others will have.

DS is doing singlets and pommel pants and gym shorts at IGC. Most of the boys there are going with athletic shorts and tight-fitting tees.

D did a mixture. He wore compression shirts (actually went shirtless most of the time). He had pommel pants and shorts and kind of rotated them. Most of the boys wore shorts. (which I don't like, but I have no say once he is there! LOL!)

Our former coach just didn't think they were as safe. Easy to catch thumbs on pommel if there are pockets. Plus the pants just help with certain things, sliding across the pommel, etc. He strongly urged boys to wear gymnastics shorts or pommel pants all the time. And if the boys wore shorts, they had to have pommels to put on for pommel horse.

Our former coach just didn't think they were as safe. Easy to catch thumbs on pommel if there are pockets. Plus the pants just help with certain things, sliding across the pommel, etc. He strongly urged boys to wear gymnastics shorts or pommel pants all the time. And if the boys wore shorts, they had to have pommels to put on for pommel horse.
Okay that makes sense, our coach requires pants for pommels and all shorts have to not have pockets. My ds preferred camp clothing was shorts and no shirt. All of his short have no pockets though. For the gym he wears tight fitting shirts with the shorts.

DS is still at an age where he really is completely indifferent to girls seeing his abs. I expect that in a few years, he will lose his singlet fetish because it's "more comfortable" to work out shirtless.

DS is still at an age where he really is completely indifferent to girls seeing his abs. I expect that in a few years, he will lose his singlet fetish because it's "more comfortable" to work out shirtless.
I don't think my son does it to show off for girls. It's just a freedom thing. Also, he goes to a camp at a college and the gym is not air conditioned. It gets really hot in there.

DS's internal thermostat is on the same setting as mine. He's frequently chilly, and I've seen him out there doing floor in his pommel pants when everyone else on the team was shirtless and sweating.

I have never been to woodward for camp but I have been going to Igc for many years. Very few where singlets like maybe 2 or 3 each week out of 60. Most wear athletic shorts and just normal athletic shirts. The higher level groups tend to not wear shirts. And I have only seen a few people wear pommel pants. I would say the majority of everyone either wears no shirt or a normal athletic shirt and normal athletic shorts.

My DS never wears a singlet for practice. Ever. He only wears them for competitions. He had pommel pants in his locker at the last gym to wear if needed; but he never once put them on. At camp (Flip Fest) and in practices he always wears normal athletic shorts (no pockets) and either a normal t-shirt or a compression shirt.

Form pants for PH/M is a given. I agree that pants with pockets or pant/shorts with a drawstring (IF LEFT HANGING OUT) are a hazard. As a coach I will not spot a guy if he is in a lycra competition jersey or has no shirt on. They are simply too "slippery." I personally want them in something I can grasp... AND he should pack plenty (2-3 t-shirts per day) so that he's not wearing something soaking wet after a few rotations. Guys seems to like the thin lightweight stuff... but I've ripped those right off a couple of guys who've unexpectedly peeled off HB. I was able to slow them down and prevent injury... but give me thick cotton t-shirt over those anyday!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back