Coach Education?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious, does your gym provide training for your coaches? Not necessarily in the form of sending coaches to clinics or that kind of thing, but just in making sure there is uniformity in the way skills are taught.
I ask because, I constantly seem to run into discrepancies with the girls I coach, especially with the pre-team group which can work with up to 4 different coaches during any given week. For example, I was working on leaps with them last week with arms in opposition. One of the older girls in the group (who is constantly trying to teach me how to coach) informed me the other coach taught leaps with arms out to the side. It has come up with other low level skills as well- how to teach cartwheels, forward and backward rolls, pretty much everything. It is a rough situation to be in, as a coach, because I feel like the older ones are constantly looking for the tiniest discrepancy to correct me on. My intention certainly isn't to confuse them or teach them something incorrectly, but they certainly see it that way. I really wish there was more consistency in coaching for this group, but that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.
We also do testing of skills periodically at all levels. Because there is no consistency in how skills are taught and what merits a good skill, it's tough figuring out what skills "pass" on the test and what do not. I seem to be a lot tougher than other coaches and so have found myself really relaxing my standards for the past few tests to not upset parents/children. I don't want them to be moved up by one coach and held back by another.
Sorry this is so long, I'm just really curious whether other gyms have similar problems or have ways to deal with these situations. I'm constantly looking for ways to improve my own coaching skills, but it makes little difference if I'm the only coach implementing these methods. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In Canada you have to be qualified to coach, the NCCP is a national certification system. Coaching Association of Canada

L1 would allow you to coach all rec and beginner comp levels. L4 would allow you to coach national levels. The courses are theory and practical with periods of pratice with an hours in the gym requirement. COaches must study many areas including safety, class structure etc.

THis gives all parents the peace of mind that their child is being trained by a qualified member and it also makes it easier for staff to be hired knowing they have followed the course.

There are also technical wqorkshops offered every year highlighting new skills or programmes.

I really wish the US had a program like that. My brother coaches swimming and had to go through a similar process to what you explained to coach at a competitive level. I would be more than willing to take classes, read all kinds of books, watched videos, take tests, all that kind of stuff to be a better coach but the opportunity just doesn't exist here OR is pretty expensive.
The gym I currently work at does not even require safety certification unless needed to be on the floor at meets. I asked if I could obtained it for myself but the owner didn't really provide any info on how to make that possible. I'm just hoping other gyms out there are a little better!

No. Although I've worked at other, much more standardized programs.

As an aside, I expect most people are teaching arms out on compulsory beam now, simply because of how they enter the leap (with arms moving down sideways from crown). I think they can technically do in opposition but it seems like it would be a bit awkward. Aesthetically I just don't like opposition as much as open side middle so I don't teach it for that reason. It was the "way" of the compulsory routines when I was competing around 2000 but not so much with the new. I think it also encourages leaning forwards. If I did a switch leap or something, I wouldn't finish with my arms in opposition, but I did so many switch rings I automatically reach up. I just think it helps with the lift anyway.

Edit: But also I think there are more ways to do/look at things and in this example it's an optional arm position. I'd tell them to put up (nicer). They can listen and follow directions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I just wish the HC (TNT coach, not really involved with the girls team) would give some input about what passes and what doesn't for a little consistency. And it would be great if the pre-team/team coaches could all work together to set some standards for the group and how to teach certain skills.
Gymdog- Thanks for your input on the leaps, I really appreciate it. I was also a compulsory when opposition was drilled into you and hated it. These were for leaps on the floor, they are no where near perfecting leaps on beam yet haha. I usually let them go with whatever is most comfortable for them, but their leaps are just so bad that I wanted to try something new to see if it would help. It clearly didn't. :rolleyes:

Well i am not a coach but at our gym coaching seems to be pretty consistent. Most of our coaches are previous gymnasts of our gym which means they were all taught a certain way which means that they teach that way so it is all consistent. Our gym does offer coaching courses and seminars for the coaches to attend. There is no issue with inconsistency at our gym however some coaches who are put out of their depth are unable to coach higher levels but have to due to absences, this is when there are issues with coaching and how to do things

We have coaches training clinics a few times per month for our rec coaches and meetings for the team coaches to make sure we are all on the same page.

bogwoppit, USAG now has a L1-L5 accreditation course. I'm planning on getting my L1&2 sometime this year. It will be more of something to put on my resume. I'd like to do the GymCert program as well but, well. Do I need them? Not really, as I've been over most of the material.

USA Gymnastics University - Program College

Having solidarity in a program from the top down is the job of the Head Program Coach. I see our girl's program have these issues but seeing as I don't coach girls at our gym, I don't have this problem since I coach only the boys.

For our rec coaches, I think they should at least go over the Safety Certification Manual and the L1 PDP course book. We have them and it's an easy basic read. I like the Gymcert materials as well.

Too many gyms don't take the time to train coaches. A lot of smaller clubs are like this. However, you will see that all the very successful gyms put a lot of training into their coaches.

It also helps if your gym has a video and text library for materials. Our gym doesn't seem to but I know the Head Coach has a lot of the USEliteCoachingAssociation journals and I've been at gyms with a lot of videos from the USECA or Congress clinics, etc. It's been nice.

It is frustrating for all involved, parents, children and coaches when there are no standards or consistency, or a lack of communication about what those standards are. I would ask either the head coach or the coach(es) that the girls will work with in the next level how they would like any skills in question taught. Part of helping your program grow and succeed is for each coach to pass on athletes who are ready and capable for the next level and not kids whom they have slid by and will need to be retaught as they go on. Can you go to the coaches above you and just ask, when you get these kids next year, how do you want them doing their leaps?

A good gym will respect and value all the instructors regardless of their experience or levels of instruction and will work to help all instructors and coaches grow in their abilities to teach good gymnastics.

Our gym takes all coaches and most instructors to congress and other outside clinics. We have a lending library with gymcert manuals, and many other books and dvds. And we keep the compulsory manual and the red book (yes i know we need the yellow book ;)) on the gym floor where all have access to it and we can look up things that are in question. We communicate regularly and as needed with the other coaches and instructors regarding things like these. The 5/6 coaches will see the 4's doing bent arm kips by themselves and holler over to please spot them on straight arms instead for example. The 4's coaches will ask that the 3's and developmentals not be allowed to ride their front leg in the mill circle etc. And b/c there is an atmosphere of mutual respect among the coaches no ones feelings get hurt, it's all to help the kids in the long run.

And when there are more than one acceptable technique all the coaches/instructors should know this and communicate this to the students. I would be worried if the kids felt comfortable telling me that I was teaching them incorrectly (not that it couldn't be true, but the kids should respect the coaches and the are more likely to do so if the coaches respect each other). Is it possible the other coaches in your gym talk like this to the kids, that coach Molly teaches it wrong? The coaches should know to tell the kids that in leaps arms to the side, opposition, rising front and opening side are all acceptable techniques for compulsory but I prefer this one, or our gyms policy is this one. We teach lift to side middle, but allow children who naturally go to opposition or front to side to continue with it.

It is good that you have high standards for the kids you teach, it shows you have high standards for yourself as well. You will find ways to keep that but still fit into the culture of your gym/program. Maybe you can lower you standards for the testing but still communicate high standards to the kids. You can point out that one way is "pretty good" but look how great it looks when you do it super super tight for example. Good Luck.

Thank you so much for all of the input, I really appreciate it! The gym I work at is mostly focused on TnT, so the girls artistic program is more of just an extra money maker than a program the owner wants to see succeed. There are 2 other gyms in town with girls artistic teams and I think he just assumes anyone who wants to work hard will go there.
Usually with teaching the basic skills, the other girls coaches and I are on the same page and rarely ever run into discrepancies. Those problems mainly come when I'm working with the TnT coaches, a girl switches over from TnT, one is working with the girls class, etc.
For gymnastics, dance is where almost all of the issues come up. I am not a dancer and struggled with that aspect of gymnastics terribly as an athlete. The other coach was a gymnast and a dancer. I usually leave the dance stuff to her, but she no longer teaches the pre-teamers at all so if I don't teach it, they don't learn it. I don't go any farther than the very basics and would not teach something if I did not know how to teach it correctly. It's usually just instances where arms can be in 1 of 3 positions and I happen to pick another one than the other coach.
I certainly don't mean to imply I know everything because I definitely do not and am always anxious to learn and improve. If the gym had a library of gymcert and USAG books/videos to check out I would do so constantly. A good portion of my free time is spent searching the internet for drills to address their problem areas.
I will talk to the coach for the next group up and see how she teaches those things, that was a great idea and an easy enough way to try and get somewhat standardized.
Thanks again for all of your help, I really appreciate all of your replies!

If you would like to get safety certified, you can do that online at the USAG website. I want to say it's about $50 (not positive on that price though). That's how I obtained my recertification. It also allows you to print out the handbook so you always have it handy. If you do the L1 certification (also online at USAG), you can print out that information as well. I have to find creative ways to get hands-on training as well so I understand where you're coming from. I've actually gone outside of my gym to other gyms & asked if I could attend their summer coaching clinics just for a bit of extra hands-on with skills I don't teach often (maybe that could be an option for you??)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back