Coaches Coach education

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nico

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
Dear coaches,

in the gym I'm working I have this two 'assistent' coaches who I'd like to educate to be a WAG coach.
These two girls are 17 yo and I'm giving them a bit of responibility during training. I think the only way to keep them enthousiastic to become a coach is to give them the opporunity to work with the kids and see these kids evolve as a result of their coaching.
Offcourse I'm working during the same hours as a coach myself, with other gymnasts, so I can 't accompany the new coaches the whole time.
How do you educate new coaches in your gyms, and what do you do outside trainings with them?
Do you give theory lessons?
How do you evaluate them?
What kind of things do you ask them to do and to prepare?

I'm sure more questions will come to mind, I'll write them in this thread.

Thanks!

They shadow, give them stuff to read and stations where they aren't gonna kill the kids. One gym I went to required reading the GymCert, others actually taking the certs besides going to Regional/National Congress. Or the USAG Gymnastics University.

One coach handed me a bunch of articles Bulgarian and Russian and said, you should read this...if you aren't a dumbass. Besides SuperTraining by Mel Siff.

I wouldn't give those to a 17 year old kid unless they were really sharp. Very wordsy and dry. But I'd probably give it to my younger self.

Assistant coaches have a lot of responsibilities. I do see as a priority having staff ALL passing the USA Gymnastics Safety Cert and on-line U100 Coaching Class. After this first step, In-house training takes place. Important, IMO, is:
(1) Sequential Gymnastics (older training book published by USAG) and specific sequences from given level/class workout planners.
(2) How to Teach. A review of teaching theory/lesson planning and practice.
(3) Physical set-up or spotting prep for the activity they will be assisting.

In the first days of their role, they are STAFF - look, speak and exhibit all the characteristics of staff from our gym. If they are working a rotation that I am heading, I make sure they are clear with goals, stations, drills and their roles and duties before hand. This makes for a a bunch of prep, but excellent, safe, fun outcomes by the athletes or class gymnasts are worthy.

Our definition of Assistant Coaches imply that they do not run the rotation, create lesson or workout planners without guidance.

Best, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back