coach gone?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughters' coach SEEMS to be done. Coach had to get a full time job with health insurance as she now has an infant daughter, totally understandable. She has not been at the gym in over a week and a half but no one has officially said anything. However, sad to say, I have seen on her Facebook on more than one occasion that she is no longer coaching gymnastics. I am not upset at the fact that she has decided not to coach and has to do what is best for her family but be respectful enough to tell the girls! I have not told my girls about what I saw on Facebook nor have I commented to coach on Facebook. I quickly mentioned it to head owner and coach last night and all he had to say was she's not coming for right now.
Am I being fussy or should she have told the girls herself? or in reality shouldn't someone tell them what is going on? And now they are short a coach!

A lot of times when a coach "leaves" (or is asked to leave) the owners of the gym will not let them say goodbye because they don't want them to take gymnasts with them to their new job. This doesn't prevent you from contacting the coach yourself if you feel closure is needed but that is usually one of the reasons this type of thing happens...

In this situation, with her NOT leaving to go to another gym or something, it seems weird they didn't have her say goodbye or at least that they haven't told the girls. Sadly, coaches DO seem to just disappear. We lost a really great coach and there was no goodbye. She went to another gym. Half the team STILL followed her.

That said, our HC/owner immediately got out the message to us in our communication folders that said coach had left and who would be covering which events for her, etc. I think it was handled perfectly.

I would have been upset too--something should have been said--as bookworm mentioned, the coach might not have been able to say something to the girls because of the owners, but there should be communication of some sort from the owners!

A lot of the time a gym will not say anything about a coach leaving until they have a definite replacement lined up. A lot of people don't like change and if they were to be told "The coach has left and we haven't found another yet". It could cause problems.

I am not saying this is the right way to do things, just that it isn't an uncommon way of doing things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back