Coach Left and the Silver Lining

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
Coaches leaving seems to be part of the game in gymnastics. It certainly doesn't pay that well and most of the lower level coaches seem to be young and starting out. We don't have a ton of turnover at our gym, but the beloved compulsory coach left us about a month ago. Personally, I think leaving a few weeks before the season starts isn't very nice, but eh.

The Fellows was terribly sad. She loved her coach and they had been working together for several years. She was full of tears and very afraid of what it meant for her gymnastics. She claimed this coach was the best one and that she was worried she wouldn't get the skills she has been struggling with since her elbow injury (BTW, she has full range of motion back and very little pain left).

I let her feel her emotions and tried to help her see that a new coach wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe this new coach would be just as good, or even better. She was quite skeptical, but open I guess.

Well, the new coach is different, very tough and sets very high expectations. She isn't very warm and fuzzy and definitely a different vibe from the old coach. There has even been some complaints about her from parents saying their kids are in tears. I have not seen anyone in tears.

I have watched several practices (forced to by circumstance) since she arrived and I haven't seen anything but good stuff. Yes, she is tough, but she is also very encouraging, only provides the amount of spot necessary while still touching them and giving correction, but also pushes them to do more themselves and to take it farther. I did here her yell pretty loud once and everyone in the gym stopped what they were doing to stare. But, she wasn't degrading, just really loud.

Anyway, the point is The Fellows LOVES her. She says the new coaches style is perfect for her, that she helps and then backs off and let's her go when she is ready. She also said she believes she can do it when this coach tells her she can. With the previous coach, at times she didn't think that he thought she could do it. She has made more progress in the last month than she has in the last year. She is happy and excited again after practice and nailed two skills she was struggling with in a single practice. This also may have something to do with feeling better after her injury as well, but I think the coach has played a big part.

This coach leaving was very traumatic for the girls at our gym as I have heard many of you express when coaches leave your gyms as well. I just thought sharing this might help someone during that time.

The beloved coach isn't always the best coach.

A new coach, with new ways of talking to you and teaching you may be just what you needed just when you needed it.

Everything happens for a reason.

Take care and happy new year everyone!

So happy to hear that she loves the new coach, that her elbow is healed and that she has made so much progress - what a great life lesson she learned and worked through...I love how there is so much to be learned from this sport besides the gymnastics itself :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back