Coaches Coach to Gymnast Ratio

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The level range is too broad. Optional groups could conceivable be bigger because a lot more independent assignments are given, although in reality this doesn't always happen simply because there are less optionals than lower levels. I don't come from an area with mega big programs, something like 40 level 4s would be pretty unusual. It's unusual for more than two coaches to be required for a level. When I was an optional, we pretty consistently had two (although some days three, maybe, if you count a dance instructor) coaches for the program, size might have varied once in awhile, but generally about 20 girls being standard, and breaking into different level works. About a 1:10 ratio although for some time due to a coaching change I was in a group that was higher than that and worked out mostly okay, stressful mainly on the coach's part honestly.

Average team size for compulsories, probably less than 10 here, I mean our "large team" designation is capped at like, 7 or 8 (can't remember which). So most teams have one coach per level/level group. Maybe about a 1:8 ratio. With good planning, you might be able to stretch that a little, though when they're just learning the routines it's pretty much at the upper end. You'd have to plan. With good planning I'm sure you could accomplish a lot but that's difficult. You'd have to be efficient. I have no concept of these kinds of 30-40 L4s setups though.

L2 and 3 are not team levels for the most part here, and class ratios tend to hover around that 1:8 as standard max. But most L3 classes are probably closer to 1:5. Preteam about the same ratio.

i think it depends on the maturity of the gymnasts. when i was training i had a squad of 10 and we did that from about level 4-7 and it was fine we all worked well together and were happy to share and take it in turns. we all got enough time with our coach too. as a coach now i try to keep my squads as small as i can so i can spend as much one on one time as possible. i have a level three group with four gymnasts and next year will be starting a jnr dev squad/level and it will have about 6/7 girls. what we do at our club is try to keep class sizes down but when it comes to comps we mix and match the teams between different classes so give us the strongest chance. eg we have three level three squads and when it comes to comps we mix them all placing the team we view to have the best chance with our best level three coach etc etc. all the kids know each other and there coach is still always there so it goes fine

also we do have maximum sizes or classes depending on level and coach
eg
rec classes 1:11
squad classes change to about 1:8 but are chosen by the coach

The ideal ratio depends a lot on the level, on the coaches' ability to motivate the kids and keep them focused, and the kids' own drive and focus.

Generally girl gymnasts can handle a much higher gymnast:coach ratio than boys can when they're young, though in my experience this reverses as they get older.

Gymnasts who have fear issues require more attention than those without (though, paradoxically, those with no fear at all also require more attention so they don't hurt themselves).

Higher level gymnasts require more individual attention to move forward with new skills, but sometimes don't need as much to perfect the skills they already have (this varies a lot depending on the skill and the gymnast).

We have a 1:8 rec class maximum, though for really challenging kids it's better to have a lower ratio.

Team/preteam is in theory 1:10 but the way our program is set up & spans so many different skill levels, we currently have them at around 1:8 too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back