Coaching difficult children

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdog

Coach
Ultimately the issue is that 20 kids is too many for a group of children in a gymnastics setting. But that's not necessarily within the coach's control.

Trying to explain certain concepts to kids is not necessarily useful. Sit down with a written list of the rules that say "you do not do this." Implement a three warning rule. On the third time you speak to someone about the rules we all know, they will go and sit down until they can calm down and rejoin the group.

Never talk over kids. If someone is talking then do not go on until they stop. The worst thing you can do is let them think that it's a selective choice. If you talk over them they will behave to that expectation. Call those kids out by name and ask them to move seats if you have to but do not talk over them.

I have virtually never had to do this. if the rules are clear and the structure is right, a good portion of kids will do what it takes.

The ones who won't typically have more going on. And that gets complicated, because if you're dealing with a child who either isn't neurotypical or has social/emotional problems due to something else in their life, a typical incentive structure may not work. In that case you ask the child's parent what they would suggest.

Space constraints are often an issue but to the extent they can work independently, break them into groups and try to distribute those who have a calming influence and those who have a less desirable influence.

Edit: I do not use punishments like conditioning. I simply ignore any undesirable behavior that isn't very disruptive and praise desirable behavior, and when it becomes an issue of rule breaking to the point of disruption, they sit down. Incidentally I have never had a parent take issue with any of this, but have witnessed many people who try to use things like conditioning, yelling, etc run into trouble. If you act like a calm and reasonable person, reasonable people will rarely take issue with you. The ones who do...have something else going on and it's out of your control. When we're talking about low level gymnastics and young kids, we need to recognize that there's going to be a certain element of the kids not working as hard as they could, etc. This is not worth taking issue with, unless they're refusing to do everything or actively impeding others.

Also. I go over rules and expectations for every class and every station even with young school age kids. Typically there's three rules or so. As in "you stand in line right behind the beams, don't touch anything else, etc." After a day I expect them to be able to fill in the rules while I just facilitate "the talk." Also I sit them down to do this.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back