Parents Competing in a level where the pre-requisite score was never met?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not sure if anyone will know the correct answer, as I have not been able to find much information out on this. At our gym , we have a girl on my daughter's team that never qualified for level 6 state. And by not qualifying I mean by alot ( AA-26,27). Somehow though she is competing this season as a level 7. Per the rules, I saw that the pre-requisite score is a 31. Keep in mind the whole team achieved this, even my daughter who suffered a broken arm and was out all summer, except the one girl. Obviously, I cant go to the coach because she was the one who signed her up as a 7 but my question is, if it is found out that this happened can there be consequences to the team? I dont think its fair for the rest of the girls who achieved this score to suffer because the coach is trying to pull a fast one. The girl wont tumble backwards and wont do BWO on the beam. How would anyone else approach this/handle it? :confused:

if this is true, their respective state committee will catch this [level chair people]. EVERYTHING IS RECORDED AND FACT CHECKED. the girl will be moved back to 6 to achieve her competency score. and the gym will be in a different kind of trouble. they can be sanctioned and could lose their club membership. very stupid...

There isn't anything to approach. That is between the child, the coach and the child's parents and has nothing to do with anyone else in the gym.

I'd stay away from this. Not really any one's business but the family and coach. This girl could have gotten scored privately, could be doing only a couple events. If she's 14, she could have been evaluated differently, etc.

since we don't know the full circumstances, we cannot judge the fairness of the situation. Only the people involved cab determine it. And sometimes things just aren't fair but if they are doing what is best for that girl, that's what should count.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

But itis kinda my problem, when my daughter was off with her broken arm, it was told to her daily that she only had one meet and she had to qualify. If I would have known that girls getting AA 26 were still going to get to move up, we would have taken the return to the gym alot slower then we did. My daughter was ready in 2 weeks after a broken arm and qualified. I have nothing against the family or the girl, she is actually my daughter best friend, but even my daughter is upset. What kind of example is this showing the team? And its not just me who is concerned.

Stay out of it...really. Your involvement will cause nothing but problems--most likely for you or your dd. Save yourself the stress.

The gym could have scored her privately, like someone else said. I think it is very unlikely that they would knowingly break the rules and put their gym in jeopardy for one child.

If you are unhappy with your daughter being rushed back after an injury, that is a separate issue that you can bring up with the coaches. But "why is soandso moving up?" is almost never a conversation that coaches want to have with parents about another child.

The situation between another athlete and their coach has nothing to do with your daughter. It sounds like your daughter was able to prepare and perform. The decision to push her for the sake of moving up was yours to make and you chose to help her push on to qualify. If you felt it wasn't safe for her to do so, I am sure you would have had her slow down a bit. I doubt that decision had to do with whether or not another child would move up based on her scores.

This may sound harsh and I don't mean it to be, but This isn't any of your business. The only gymnast you have to worry about is your own child.

The coach is not going to discuss the issues of another gymnasts advancements or lack of advancements with others. Would you want the coach to make a public announcement of how your DD was able to advance because some parents were mad or upset our irritated because they weren't in the inner circle of how it happened and though it was unfair?

There is no "fast one" being pulled I'm sure because if the girl doesn't have the skills to compete L7 then what is being pulled? Also USAG will check the facts too so it will be caught at a meet. I know of a girl that didn't qualify in the prior season but after the summer in the Sept - Dec meets She went with just her and the coach to a meet that the rest of the team didn't go to specificly so she could qualify to move up and got the qualifying score she needed to move up.

I only knew about it because we are good friends with the girl and her mom and went to cheer her on but no one else at the gym other than the coach/owner knew this had happened. Over the summer she just blossomed and got her next level skills and with her new skills to keep her at the old level just would be a waste.

So my advice is stay out of the "Momma Drama" path and only look to make sure your own child is getting what she needs. Why others are moving up, not moving up or any other issues of other gymnasts just has nothing to do with you or your childs gymnastics.

But this is also my problem, as parent president, I have to represent the gym on behalf of the parents. And if there are things going on that affect not only my daughter but the other 100 kids I need to look into it. My daughter could care less because she is other girl is no competition. But the rules apply to all kids- you dont hit the score you dont move up. And even if she was judged privately there is no way she would have been able to qualify. When you cant do main elements required in a routine your not going to qualify.

While it may not be the jk's business, it still is worth quietly keeping an eye on. If the other parents re-read dunno's post they might see how this could create very big problems for the jk's dd and every other kid at the gym.

I'm not sure the state coordinator would catch this. When you change level you dont indicate at which meet a move up score was achieved. And with hundreds of kids in a state I cannot imagine the state coordinatit cross referencing kids and meet scores. The move up score could have been achieved out of state, theres just no way the state chairman's would have the time to look that stuff up.

When we hosted the state meet last year, I had to verify that each girl met her qualifying score which for us, is the same as the mobility score. Is that not SOP for each state meet host?

Has she actually competed yet as a 7? Or is she just training with the 7's? At my gym, if you are competing as a 2nd year level 5, you train with the 6's. You aren't competing 6, but you train with them. (They train 1 more day/week than our 5's.)

So until she walks out on that floor, you don't know that she is actually competing at that level.

What would be the advantage to the gym to put a girl that is clearly not ready and has not qualified out there? It would be a disaster for the girl, is a safety hazard, and if I understand a pp correctly, it could cause sanctions against the gym. This is why I'm thinking you may not have the whole story.

In addition to what's been stated already, I think the big thing that concerns me is the safety factor. If she truly cannot do even the L6 skills proficiently, how on earth will she do L7? I'd be concerned about injury....and the fact that the coaches are allowing her to continue at a level that is likely unsafe for her. That would make me uneasy about the safety of my child too.

But this is also my problem, as parent president, I have to represent the gym on behalf of the parents. And if there are things going on that affect not only my daughter but the other 100 kids I need to look into it. My daughter could care less because she is other girl is no competition. But the rules apply to all kids- you dont hit the score you dont move up. And even if she was judged privately there is no way she would have been able to qualify. When you cant do main elements required in a routine your not going to qualify.

What happens with this girl does not effect anyone but the girl and her family. This has nothing to do with any boosters or parent group other than the fact that the parents are irritated that they don't know how its happening between that family and the Gym (which is no ones business but the gyms and the families). Yes parents and even teammates may wonder how this is happening, and be irritated that she gets to move up somehow but that doesn't mean anyone has to explain anything to other families to make them feel better.

As far as qualifying goes any sanctioned event will qualify her not just the state meet. So if she went to one with just the coach unknown to the rest of the parents or girls on the team, she very well could have qualified even if you don't think she has the skills to do so. IF she is truely going to compete as a L7 this season, how she qualified to do that again is between the gymnast, her family and the gym.

She may just be training L7 skills at the gym but going to compete L6 at the meet but even that plan is between the gymnast her family and the coach and is nobodys business including other parents or parent groups at the gym what plan is in place for this girl.

I don't know of any parent group at a gym that has the in-site into what has been planned for every girl and their family when it comes to the training of the girls. Nor do I know of any parent group that has the power to make policies for, has a say in the advancement of gymnasts or how they advance, or police the gym to follow any gym or USAG rules.

Usually parent groups do things like fundraise to help pay for things like meet expenses or some other gymnast expense, buy flowers for meets, help out running meets for the gym, plan some fun activities for the team to do some bonding outside of the practice time and maybe plan and run the end of the year banquet. Its not the parents groups job or business to monitor the gym to see if they are "following the rules" or demand explinations of what the gym is doing with a specific gymnast.

We have all been there wondering this same type of thing. You see a girl who we clearly feel doesn't have the skills to move up yet she somehow does and wonder how this is happening but we don't have a right to demand from the gym any explinations of what has been planned for this girl. We may not like what we see because we don't know all the facts but again the plan is a private thing.

As a parent I would be very very upset if the coach or gym owners started making public and telling all the other parents (or parent group) the plan or any details for my daughters gymnastics, as its none of their business no matter how unfair they think it is or how much they want to know what is going on.

No matter what excuse you feel you deserve to know how this is happening in the end Its none of your (or any parents or parents groups) business.

You had said in one of your posts that this girl and parent are friends of yours, so if you really want to know why don't you just ask the mom and keep the gym and their staff out of your curiosity?

Unless you know certainly and have complete and accurate records of all the gymnast in question's sores, you can't be entirely sure she never met the mobility score. In addition, if I recall correctly, at least two years ago or maybe even up until last year, the mobility score to move up from L6 to L7 was only 29AA. so maybe you should not be too quick to assume she did not hit the mobility score. I have a hard time remembering all my daughter's scores more so other gmnasts. Also, there is more than just mobility scores to determine a gymnasts readiness for the next level.

Having said that, it appears our gym did the same thing to one of our L6 gymnast. And even if my speculations are right, it did not bother me at all. What concerned me more was if this gymnast did not meet the mobility score, her safety and progression to the next level might be more jeopardized. I would look more closely into the competency of the coaches in making good decisions for their gymnast and not worry too much about how and what other gymnasts are doing compared to my daughter. Your daughter did fine and she will be fine.

GymBee97;217369 [B said:
As far as qualifying goes any sanctioned event will qualify her not just the state meet. So if she went to one with just the coach unknown to the rest of the parents or girls on the team, she very well could have qualified even if you don't think she has the skills to do so. IF she is truely going to compete as a L7 this season, how she qualified to do that again is between the gymnast, her family and the gym[/B].

This is SO true...there was a girl in our old gym who routinely scored 26-28 AAs but her mom really wanted her to move up AND qualify for States so off she went to a "qualifier" and I don't know what happened there but she supposedly got a 34.2 that day...hasn't done it since and did go to States and scored in the 20s like she usually did so I don't know why the mom wanted this for her daughter. The rest of us at the gym knew, as the OP has stated, that she really didn't have the skills to score out and/or move up, but it was none of our business and I think the whole incident just reflected poorly on the gym and the gymnast , unfortunately ...and it was a safety issue too because some of the skills she attempted were downright scary (one vault judge even said something to the coach after watching her warm up!)

Think of a coach/child relationship as that of an attorney/client or doctor/patient. Their business is their business. You are not the coach, you are the booster club president. As many will tell you level 6 is very similar to level 7 except in level 7 a good coach tweak the routines to flatter the individual gymnast's strengths and not put a magnifying glass on their weaknesses. Many gyms score their kids out of level 6 to avoid the level which is historically impossible to score well on.

It is possible to compete level 7 without back tumbling, which is what the op said was the main issue. If this girl is ok on bars and Vt, she could clean up beam and Fx enough to qualify especially if they cut down on falls and wobbles on beam. It is not necessarily unrealistic for this girl to get the 31 that is needed. There may also be an agreement that the girl will only complete in 2 events and received special permission from the state.

Op also didn't state when they start competing. If its not until next fall/winter, there is plenty of time for the girl to score out.

Regardless, if this is really an issue of the op concerned for the gym, then you should go to the hc with the concern. "i don't need the specifics. I just want to be sure my dds ability to compete at this gym in the future is secure, that the rules were followed. " however, given what had been written about 'fairness', my guess is that 'concern for the gym' is not the primary issue.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back