Compulsory elite levels document

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

chocolate

Proud Parent
BG have published the full handbook for the elite levels and videos demonstrating the skills but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site . I have followed the instructions they give but it is not showing on the drop down menu . Has anyone managed to get the download and the videos or is it just me having problems?

It won't show for me either. It says log in to gymnet then click on resource centre then WAG compulsory levels. There is no drop down saying WAG compulsory levels though. Hope its not just for coaches to see because i really would love to see how the skills are supposed to be done in the videos and descriptions.

I can see it fine. I followed the gymblast link. The videos seem to be the ones shown on the clinic day.

I can see it fine. I followed the gymblast link. The videos seem to be the ones shown on the clinic day.

Hi Jenny, what exactly is the gymblast link? I receive the gymblast email but couldn't see any link in it.

maybe you have to be registered as a coach to see it, you know how BG likes to keep these things secret.

I guess you have to be. They usually make the compulsory handbook available to download to everyone but now you have to log in and it seems there only letting coaches view it. :(

maybe you have to be registered as a coach to see it, you know how BG likes to keep these things secret.
I think that must be why it's not showing when I log in but I think they should at least put on that it's only available to coaches so people trying to find it know . I don't know why they wouldn't make it available to everyone though when the grades book is available in the shop for everyone and I was really looking forward to seeing the elite handbook as my daughter will be doing compulsory 4.

I can't see it either. It does look as though only coaches are allowed to :rolleyes:

Personally I think that stinks, as everyone knows that these kids like to watch the routines from previous comps on youtube, so get a feel for what judges are looking for. What harm does that do seriously? It's really helped my dd in the past to reassure herself that she really is doing everything she is supposed too, or to pick up little hints about what looks good - especially in the r and c.

Rats.

That's a shame it's not available for all to see.

I think they used them as a training exercise last week at dd's gym. They filmed each of the girls doing all of their routines then sat down after each apparatus as a group and watched them - then they watched videos of Catherine Lyons demonstrating the new grades. I imagine there were some small differences!

I film dd practicing her range at home, so that she can see what it looks like, as she can't always tell. I don't download them, or save them, or show them to anyone but her. We look at them for things like split handstands being lopsided, bent legs etc. before she has the next go and she finds it really helpful. It would be great for her to have something to compare too/work towards though.

Its really helpful isn't it. Dd also likes to watch her comps a few days after the event so I put any videos we take of her comps on a locked you tube channel after the iPod her brother filmed her first ever grades (which she medaled at) got wiped.

That said there are one or two shockers that she won't watch - "too soon mummy"!

I film dd practicing her range at home, so that she can see what it looks like, as she can't always tell. I don't download them, or save them, or show them to anyone but her. We look at them for things like split handstands being lopsided, bent legs etc. before she has the next go and she finds it really helpful. It would be great for her to have something to compare too/work towards though.
I agree . I've shown my dd YouTube videos of girls at nationals who got good range scores to show her what to work towards and how it should be done but now the range as changed there are no videos to show her . The straddle lift round to front support is the bit I think she needs to see most because she's not sure how high to lift out of the straddle before going into front support or how fast to do it.

^^^^^^ I have been told, by a coach who was at the training, (but not dd's coach) that they are looking for a high straddle hold and then the legs swinging out nice and high and round the side. I'm pretty sure this doesn't have to be slow - just a natural swing round speed, with good clearance from the floor.

Filming helps because dd's coach is obviously giving her verbal corrections, but dd can't always tell what she is doing. For example her coach has been telling her to slow down (dd tends to rush through the bits she knows she does well, like the leg lifts and the split bridge holds). She genuinely thought she was slowing down until I filmed her and showed her how she's rushing through. Equally she has a tendency to let her front (lifted) leg flop when she goes from second split handstand down to split bridge, which she couldn't feel and needed to see to understand.

It's not that I want to start critiquing dd's bars or vault, I wouldn't know where to start or want to try, but sometimes dd hasn't quite 'got' something coach has said and she wants to see it and youtube is not to be under-estimated. Actually it took her a while to even understand what her bar routine was supposed to be. It's so different from last year. Not being able to look at it feels a big disadvantage. But also the girls are asked/required/encouraged to practice range at home, so it's not unreasonable for us to be able to see what it should look like surely?!

I'm so glad DD doing level 5 which doesn't matter so much at least we will hopefully have you tube videos of level 4 to look at for next year. It will be very interesting to see the different interpretations of the same rules.

Thanks for the info Flossyduck . I just wish dd could see an example of how it should be done because she'd find it much easier once she's seen it done properly. She's also told to practise range at home and I wouldn't want her to be doing bits wrong without me realising that it's wrong . I'm glad she's doing the alpha factor comp because then I can see how well she's doing before she does her actual levels.

My dds lucky shes doing level 5 this year too and will have vids to watch by the time she does level 4. There are still a few new level 4 skills in her level 5 though that would of been nice to see examples of. Really dissapointed we don't get to view the videos

I watched close to a dozen girls today compete the new compulsory range and I would say most of them lifted their bums higher than their heads/shoulders just before swinging their legs round to front support.

I've just seen them today and I think they are a brilliant idea! All we need now is a standard compulsory 5 for the whole uk rather than regions setting their own, plus gb to do videos for that!
Not a lot to ask for is it?

I've just seen them today and I think they are a brilliant idea! All we need now is a standard compulsory 5 for the whole uk rather than regions setting their own, plus gb to do videos for that!
Not a lot to ask for is it?

I think the videos should be made available to every1 to watch not just the coaches. The gymnasts themselves should be able to view the videos so they can see what they are aiming for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back