Constantly going crooked on BWO on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

I thought I had my back walkover until for the past two months I didn't make one. So I go back and my hips just don't stay square. I try to keep them square but it is easier said then done. My hands go on the beam and then immediately I turn off, its basically a habit now. At my gym the only thing I have been told was to keep my hips square. However, is there any drill or anything that can be done to break this habit? I always start on the low beam, but I never have any luck. I honestly think this is a serious habit. I start nice and tall and push through my shoulders but I just can't get my feet on the beam. Any advice? Drills? Suggestions? Thanks!

Work on doing just the first part without kicking over (so, lift your leg and arch back on one leg, so you land in a bridge on one leg with the leading leg up). You may topple over when you do this, but keep working on it until you can do it easily without an balance checks. Then do it on a line or low beam. When you can do it without moving your foot from the line and putting your hands on the line, then you will have mastered it.

If you are even having trouble with that, you can stand a little in front of a wall with your back to it with one leg lifted, and arch back until you touch the wall, and walk your hands down and back up some.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back