WAG Correct Starting Leg Angle for Mill/Stride Circle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kemilie

Proud Parent
Hello,

I am new to the world of gymnastics as my daughter just started in March of this year. It's been fun to learn about and I find it all fascinating.... ! We had our first meet this past weekend, and I have a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to:

When you do a mill circle, *should* your legs form a 90 degree angle, or is it just that they should form an angle of AT LEAST 90 degrees? I understand that the one leg is straight in front, parallel to the ground. But what about the leg behind the bar - should it be straight down, or can it be back in more of a 150 degree angle closer to splits? Which are the judges looking for, and is one harder than the other?

My curious mind wants to know! :)

Thanks for input!

Hello,

I am new to the world of gymnastics as my daughter just started in March of this year. It's been fun to learn about and I find it all fascinating.... ! We had our first meet this past weekend, and I have a question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to:

When you do a mill circle, *should* your legs form a 90 degree angle, or is it just that they should form an angle of AT LEAST 90 degrees? I understand that the one leg is straight in front, parallel to the ground. But what about the leg behind the bar - should it be straight down, or can it be back in more of a 150 degree angle closer to splits? Which are the judges looking for, and is one harder than the other?

My curious mind wants to know! :)

Thanks for input!

"curiosity kills the cat" ...

If the question is"what should you do" they are required to show clear support with their front leg off the bar, which means unless they pike generally their leg will have to above horizontal unless they have particularly long arms. As far as the back leg, it needs to press back to drive the circle over, though that doesn't necessitate it coming off the bar, but it should be controlled upon completion of the circle. They need to be in clear support at completion as well. The text doesn't specify or mention their back leg. The pictures depict the back leg off the bar so the clear support is a tight split position, however, in my experience, it is considered clear support as long as the front leg is off the bar.

Thanks for that info, Gymdog. It helps me visualize it better. :) It made me curious because when I see most of the gymnasts do it at the meets they have about a 90 degree angle, but my daughter seems to be having better success when the back leg is pointed back more instead of pointed straight towards the ground.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back