Parents DD scared of Handstand on Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NewGymMominCA

Proud Parent
Hi All, My DD (almost 8) started gym in Feb. of this yr. and was invited to join one of their team dev. classes shortly after and just recently moved up to Pre-Team. She LOVES gymnastics and had tons of crazy energy. She usually picks up skills pretty quick. But, right now is STRUGGLING with her handstand on the medium ht. beam. She can do it well on the floor and Ok on the low beam. But, on the med. height beam - she does not even lift her back leg off the beam! I feel bad watching her struggle...and know she can do it. I (gently) asked her about it - yesterday - and she said she's scared she will fall. I just told her that's ok and I'm proud of her...(as I really am). But, in the meantime, am not sure how to help her. Her coaches really are wonderful...and honestly I think she couldn't have asked for better coaches...I'm just wondering if there's anything I could do to help her - I know it bothers her that the other girls can do this...but she's struggling. Maybe I am thinking too much...but any advice or advice on how not to think about this too much - would be great!! Thanks! :)

My daughter was also scared of the beam because she was afraid of falling. Sometimes doing a private lesson and the one on one attention can help build there confidence.

My DD is the exact same...age 7, started gymnastics in Feb, recently moved to preteam, terrified of hand stand on high beam, but also scared to do it on the low beam too. It is difficult for me to watch her struggle.
But I just tell her she will get it eventually as long as she keeps trying...and not to worry about it.

Then I secretly worry about it for her. ;)

Totally normal, it is scary. Hopefully the coaches will spot her and get her comfortable with doing it safely. Also, reality is she will fall a lot. It's part of learning beam.

My DD (will be 8 next week) is a level 3. She started learning cross handstands when she joined pre-team at the age of 5. They got easier for her when she realized that as long as she doesn't panic, she can just kind of let her body naturally twist out of it if she starts to fall. It just took some time for her brain to grasp that concept :)

Are the coaches teaching them how to fall properly? Learning to control the fall can be key to overcoming the falling fear. Beyond that, more handstand control that comes with a gazillion handstands. ;) A home floor beam for practice could also help if she's the type to play around at home. I'm guessing learning to fall will help the most, though.

My dd is of similar age (turned 8 a few weeks ago), she had a fear on beam doing forwards rolls, it happened when she has an awkward fall, it did take a couple of months to overcome this. Dd is now doing cartwheels on the high wider training beam and has seem to have gotten over her fear issue. We had viewing week at the gym a week ago (they open the upstairs bleachers area once a term that overlooks the whole gym) and I watched dd do some forwards rolls and when she falls off she makes it look like a landing and adds a little pose instead of just crashing to the floor. Dd hasn't started on handstands on the beam yet as far as I know but my oldest dd has and says it is very hard.

In my experience, there always seems to be a skill that dd is scared of on beam. Once upon a time it was hand stands then cartwheels, then flicks, then double flicks etc. For us (her doing and me being the shoulder to cry on) it just seems to be part of the beam learning process.

For dd her fear of hand stands on beam abated when she learned her handstand forward roll on beam.

Hope she gets through it soon.

Mine was also scared on HS on beam (she turned 7 in August), but her coaches worked with her on focusing on the beam and not the floor. As long as her eyes stay focused on the beam, she is ok. She has done a handstand on beam and ended up in a back bend and it freaked her out. She has a floor beam at home that she practices on, if she feels the need.

Hi All - Thanks so much for your replies!! Those are all really great ideas!!! I will keep you posted! Its good to know - that we're not alone...:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back