Parents Do your coaches use cell phones during meets and practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I text with DD's coach some, but never during practice and never during a meet. Practice would be futile as her phone is in her office. And at a meet is against USAG rules so won't do that.

Our coaches are totally focused on the girls during a meet. They are shaping bodies, giving reminders, etc. I don't even really see them sitting down in between rotations....the girls don't either that I've ever really noticed. Not saying they don't, just haven't noticed.

But then I talk a lot to other parents so........

and,,,, here is a prime example of a text that a parent would send a coach, "sick" "stuck in Traffic" and "DD is not able to check in" . Anyways, obviously if a coach is fixated on a phone when they should be taking care of a group then that is a problem. But on the flip side parents have to communicate with the coaching staff to alert them of sick kids, or a massive accident and traffic etc... So the notion that a parent/coach should never EVER communicate via text at a meet is not realistic.

I even disagree with this. A couple of years ago we didn't carry phones around... What happened then if an athlete was sick or late? And what is a coach actually going to do if they are coaching a session and find out someone is late or absent for the next session? Really?

We tend to text other parents if a kid is sick, going to be late, etc. Then the info is there if the coach needs it. I do have coach's info, but only because I am team rep, and plan all of his travel. So sometimes I do need to get him asap LOL

I even disagree with this. A couple of years ago we didn't carry phones around... What happened then if an athlete was sick or late? And what is a coach actually going to do if they are coaching a session and find out someone is late or absent for the next session? Really?

The coach will know whether s/he should inform the meet directors that there's a scratch. Having had to deal with scratches for our home meet, I can say that it's WAY easier to manage if the organizers know early. The sick/late distinction is not an idle one.

. It's a common courtesy in my neck of the woods. Also helps the meet director tally scratches, and possibly start a session early if we know that Susie isn't just late but not coming. Parents are required to notify us if they are a no show. And I would rather get a text instead of have a parent in the stands waiving at one of us to relay info (which is the same thing) . And believe it or not young kids actually get stressed for each other when they don't know where one of the teammates is. :)

I generally keep my phone handy until all gymnasts for that session have shown up, then put in airplane mode and stash away in my bag. As coachp said, it stresses all the girls out when one of their teammates hasn't shown yet. If I can pass along to them that Susie is stuck in traffic and will be here in 10 min or that she is sick and won't by there, it helps them all focus. I can also keep Susie and her parents calm if I can text them to not worry, we start on floor so she can get plenty of warmup time in even if she arrives a few minutes late. And, yes, before the age of cell phones we just had to deal, but I think this is one of the situations where we can use these modern advances to our benefit.

I personally do not have an issue with coaches checking their phones, video taping for training purposes ( some coaches have super cool apps for training) BUT we were with a club that the coaches were on their phones the entire time each one of their girls were competing on an event. If a coach must check or send a text ( if it's even allowed) do it in between events, not when one of your athletes are in the middle of a routine, and to top it off for us we watched all of these other clubs coaches attentively watch their athletes then give high fives and hugs after the athlete finished her routine... Our former coaches were so buried in their phones the only hugs and high-fives that they got were from their teammates. As I'm sure you can tell by my post this is a former gym. No problems now. But it really is sad to see when a coach is so disconnected. Bravo to all of you coaches who work so hard, put in so many hours, and truly care about your athletes.. You all are such a great group of people it's sad to see a small group tarnish what so many hard working coaches do everyday, those of you who have coaches like this please remember they are the minority..

. It's a common courtesy in my neck of the woods. Also helps the meet director tally scratches, and possibly start a session early if we know that Susie isn't just late but not coming. Parents are required to notify us if they are a no show. And I would rather get a text instead of have a parent in the stands waiving at one of us to relay info (which is the same thing) . And believe it or not young kids actually get stressed for each other when they don't know where one of the teammates is. :)

This. DD was totally on time based on call time for one of our meets but super anxious. I took her out for some air before sending her over with her coach and team (again, PRIOR to call time) and the rest of the team got completely stressed out that she wasn't there. They sent a search party of moms looking for us. That was my bad, I should have told the coach I was taking her for a breather. Though I likely could have texted I'm not sure it would have mattered I've never seen our coaches pull out a cell phone at a meet - just a tablet to video them and only occasionally.

It was def not the parents texting her; we were all sitting together complaining about her being on the phone. One dad said he was going to text to tell her to get off the phone (he didnt)
I asked my child about it and she said she was texting.

All three of dds coaches have there phones on them during practice, i'm not sure how often they check them as I don't usually stay at practice but when I am there watching I never see them use them. One her coaches uses his iPad, and an app called coaches eye, and will film the girls and go through the skills with them

As for competition, they do use their phones as timers, I actually asked dd once why her coach had his phone out during beam warm up, she told me he was using the timer. After the meet is over dds coaches will come talk to me and tell me how he thinks she did ect.

I am a victim of having coaches phone numbers but only text to let them know dd won't be at gym, or directions to a meet ( I am very directionally impaired, really not good with directions), or one time dd got hurt vaulting and he texted me to let me know.

Yes. I will shoot the coach an email if we have issues. But really not much to do at that point.

But for a meet

We tend to text other parents if a kid is sick, going to be late, etc. Then the info is there if the coach needs it.

This

Because

The coach will know whether s/he should inform the meet directors that there's a scratch. Having had to deal with scratches for our home meet, I can say that it's WAY easier to manage if the organizers know early. The sick/late distinction is not an idle one.

This

And our coaches don't give us their cells :D

Some of my parents have my cell. No one has abused it. I do not use it at practice or meets unless I'm taking video or timing.

I wouldn't expect coaches to keep their phones off altogether all the time. They're humans, after all; they have kids, elderly parents, and other issues where they need to be reachable, just like I do. I expect them to use it only when necessary, and at our gym, that's what I've seen (in fact I've only seen it used for videoing kids, starting the music, timing, etc).

If a coach was on his/her phone during my kid's entire beam routine, during a meet...I mean, unless there was a true emergency going on, I'd be a very unhappy camper.

Our hc doesn't have a mobile and neither does the assistant hc we don't have the numbers for the others coaches if someone's not gonna make practice we just call the office and leave a message

I can tell you for sure that my staff sends me meet updates after each event when I am not at the meet. Just playing devils advocate.
Never texted the club coach during a meet before, but had their cell phone numbers and had texted them--usually updates from the doctor on injuries! I was asked to text high school coach at sections this year--she wanted updates on how the main team was doing during their bye rotations. I can't imagine texting stuff about my own kid or complaints during a meet! No wonder coachp doesn't like parents!

I have never seen a coach with a cell phone at a meet. I know they get them out at least some of the time in the gym, because I have seen some pics and videos and hearsay from DD.

Never texted the club coach during a meet before, but had their cell phone numbers and had texted them--usually updates from the doctor on injuries! I was asked to text high school coach at sections this year--she wanted updates on how the main team was doing during their bye rotations. I can't imagine texting stuff about my own kid or complaints during a meet! No wonder coachp doesn't like parents!
Lol, I like my parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back