Does your gym have video capabilities for training help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Trixiebelle

Proud Parent
Last year we had a meet at a gym where there was a big screen TV and a video camera mounted on a tripod at each station. Apparently they would use it as a teaching tool and this caught my interest. Does your gym have this? Ours does not and when DD asked her head coach about it, it came down to a money issue.

If your gym has it, how beneficial does your gymnast find it?

We currently only have a small video camera. We video and play it back for the gymnasts to watch. It is not a good solution...but it is what we currently have.

Having a wall mounted video camera, a large screen tv, and a 10-15 second delay in the replay of the video is the best solution. It is expensive...but it is one of the best training tools any gym can have.

The brain needs to see the video within a few seconds of the turn happening or the gymnast will be able to link what they just felt during that turn to the video. In other words...the gymnast absolutely MUST watch the video within 10-15 seconds of the turn for optimal results.

Lake Owen has my ideal setup.

We have one unit that can be moved around and set up in different locations. Total cost around $500. About $100 for a series 1 DVR box on eBay, about 350-400 for a tv. Mounted tv to a wooden box/crate from my garage, cost $0. 4 rolling casters for bottom, less than $20. Already had an old camera and tripod so no cost there.

Benefit is we can change location and angle. Down side is that it's a little cumbersome. But for $500 definitely worth it!

Yes they have a video on every event with a monitor at each event. I have no idea where the cameras even are as they are mounted on the walls and celing somewhere for each event. The gymnast goes then when they are done about 10 sec later they appear on the monitor to view. It has helped my DD a lot to see that nope those legs she thought were straight really arent and so on.

Our gym has cameras mounted somewhere so parents can watch on the TV screens in the waiting room.

They're not using this for the girls to see their routines.

However the coaches do tape them on their phones and the girls watch right after (not regularly, but seems when they are doing a new skill or routine)

My daughter likes this way of viewing and while it sounds like it would be too small, I think the girls do get something out of it. I have recorded on my phone at meets and my daughter is very critical of what she sees so it is better than nothing I guess.

Plus, the coaches likely all have this technology so it won't cost the gym anything.

Tivo is our best training aid. can't do without it.:)

We have one on bars and one on floor.
The floor one is not used much...actually come to think of it I've never seen it used. Maybe the camera doesn't work....
But the Bars one is used all the time.

Woodward I saw also has these camera setups all over.

Yes, they have a camera--not a big TV screen though. It's been used alot--even convinced Beth that no, her legs really weren't straight in her bhs-back layout on beam!

We don't (really wish we did because the meet videos really help). However, DD's tumbling coach recorded her on his iPad at the last practice and was able to show her what she was doing with her body position. Talk about portable and easy to use -- I thought that was very creative.

We don't have one at my gym, but they have them at Woodward. I found them very useful, since you can't always feel what your coach is saying the video lets you see it. Also the video shows you what you are doing wrong, and you when you see yourself sometimes you can figure out what you are doing wrong and make corrections.

We have them at my gym but I think there is only one for floor and rings/ high bar area. Seems to be pretty helpful but I try not to watch myself on the screens because I already know my form is terrible :p

Also wanted to add, that I think it is helpful for the gymnasts to see their routines after competitions as well. I videoed my dd's routines last weekend after she asked me to. What appeared to be a great routine to me - she thought was terrible after watching it. She had thought the judges scored her really low, but upon watching the video she was able to see all of her mistakes and realize what she needed to work on.

We have a camera, and then one of our coaches has a tablet (like an iPad, but a bit smaller from black berry) and we use these when learning new skills, or whenever the coach is trying to tell us our legs are bent or something and we refuse to believe them. :) We don't use them regularly, or even during routines.

The gym our daughter still considers "her" gym has a feedback camera set up for their main vault area and one of their bars areas. They also have another system that is mobile so they can use that for beam and floor but they don't seem to as much. The gym she is currently training mostly at has cameras practically everywhere it seems and they have the ability and software to save and download files. Actually, "her" gym may be able to save and download too but I've never seen them do that.

"Her" gym also does typically tape routines at meets and the coaches go over them after meets with girls in some fashion.

We do have several tvs and video cameras set up on a delay so the gymnasts can watch it. It is great, however, the downside is that often the gymnasts are so concerened about watching it that they spend half of their training time in front of the TV instead of on the BARS!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back