FHS & BHS drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

Coach.Kat

Hello, I am a coach in Canada. Coaching with a recreational program. I am currently coaching a teen recreational program and they are mostly all beginners. I just wanted to know if someone can tell me some drills for:
Front hand springs
Back hand springs

I am good with teaching younger children and I have tried alot of drills with these teen girls, but they just are not catching on.
Their main problem is they attempt to do it, they get their hands on the ground and then curl into a ball.

In the adult gymnastic class I take we do fhs and bhs drills on barrel mats. It's helped me to learn to not crunch my body, especially for fhs. Start with them going into a handstand and falling over onto the barrel. Make sure they don't bring their body up until their feet are on the ground. Make sure when they do bhs on a barrel they squeeze their stomach and butt to get off up the barrel to a handstand before coming down.

Barrel drills till they are getting over quickly. Front Handspring Step-Out/Walkovers over the barrel. Same with backwards.

If you have a pit, toss a wedge mat in there and have them stand in the middle and do a BHS into the pit. 1st step, their hands and feet land in the pit. Nothing pretty, they survive without throwing their head to a side. Eventually they can start at the top of the mat landing their hands on the bottom and their feet in the pit. Then you can take it to a tramp or tumbl-trak or down a firm wedge.

Forward and back limbers, bridge wall walks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back