Parents First level 5 meet is over! LONG!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

WOW... that is really tough. I'm glad she seems to feel o.k., but I would definitely have her checked out. Trust me, I've had a son who has suffered 2 concussions and he seemed fine after he fell and hurt his head the first time. With all the awareness now about concussions and the long term effects they have, I'd definitely have it checked.

As an aside, every meet I've been to where a girl has landed on her head they've had the medical personnel attend to her right away. One was even taken off in an ambulance. These things are not to be messed with!

Wow, that must have been incredibly scary for you! I have never seen one of those falls but we had a girl fall on her head on a double back dismount last year. Out of an abundance of caution, they put her on a backboard and took her to the hospital. She was fine, but I guess better safe than sorry.

SO glad to hear your dd is okay and was able to finish the meet and score so well! What a trouper she is. I'm glad to hear that the fall hasn't affected her in any way. Hopefully, next meet she will nail that bar routine.

I certainly hope you NEVER see it again, either. And I don't want to either. Very scary. Glad she is okay. I just thought there might be some kind of protocol with a head/neck type injury that they would want to check her before letting her keep going. I always thought there was a medical type person at all meets, but now I am thinking maybe not. There was an ambulance outside the compulsory state meet, just waiting in case I guess.

That doesn't always happen. We don't have a medical person on site at our meets--not even when we've hosted the State meet. Maybe it varies by state??

I am guessing that maybe it is state regulated? I am not even sure it is a requirement here, maybe just a precaution gyms like to take? Interesting question though. Especially at optional meets where so many things can go wrong.

As to this meet, they had a medical person and the coach shrugged it off, why?? Coaches aren't doctors (unless they are a doctor, too), yes they have seen lots of injuries, etc, but they should err on the side of caution, especially with a possible head injury.

I am glad everything turned out alright and she had a good meet. How scary for you too watch! I do not know if each state is different but when our gym hosts a state meet we are required to have a licensed medical professional present for each session. I am a registered nurse and have volunteered to do this at our meets in the past. I also think USAG is responsible for any injuries occuring during a sanctioned event if you read when you get your registration as a gymnast I think it says this. I am pretty sure there is a protocol where they have to fill out an incident form in the case of an injury. Luckily your daughter was okay but IMHO I think the coach was wrong in not letting the person check her out and letting her get back on the bar right away. Basic saftey protocol says you should never move someone with a possible head or neck injury, I would think that coaches would learn this in the saftey courses they are required to take. Could she have taken the deduction for the fall and later after it was determined she was okay go back and complete the routine. I am not sure if this is allowed.

You must've been absolutely terrified! I am so glad that she's OK though. I do remember them announcing that there was a medical person on-site at the meet. It would've been good to have them do a check on her at the time. That is one tough kid you have. Nnot sure I would've had the ability to get up and finish the competition at that age.

I have her video up (minus bars). I think if she cleans up a couple things (cartwheel on beam, bent legs in a couple spots on floor) she might be close to the coveted 9.0 on those events at the next meet. Vault, well, don't know what to say about that. It is not her thing but I hope she can make some improvements and get out of the 7's!:)

YouTube - huntsville 2010

I agree with the posts saying it would have been good to have her checked out by a medical person at the meet before she continued. I was surprised, too, but we had to trust the coach's judgement. It's funny, she is not a particularly "tough" kid but she sure can be tough when it comes to her sport!:)

Happy Thanksgiving all! It has taken me hours of fighting with this computer to get my video up so now I am going to bed!

...Right smack on her head in a vertical fall.
That is my biggest fear as a gym mom. Glad that she is okay! Big hugs to you; I can imagine that sick feeling that you felt at that moment. She sounds like a tough cookie to continue her routine after a fall like that and even go on to do well in other events. No wonder you are proud!

That is my biggest fear as a gym mom. Glad that she is okay! Big hugs to you; I can imagine that sick feeling that you felt at that moment. She sounds like a tough cookie to continue her routine after a fall like that and even go on to do well in other events. No wonder you are proud!

Yes, I still feel sick thinking about it (I am trying to STOP thinking about it!). I am really hoping that maybe she has had her dose of falling for the season and she will have nothing but "normal" meets for the rest of this year! Poor kid, she deserves a little break!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back