Parents First meet--what do I need to know?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NMNorskie

Proud Parent
My daughter joined the level 3 team this year, and her first meet is next weekend. I've never been to a meet (or any kids sporty thing, for that matter). What should I expect? Anything I should/shouldn't bring? About how long do these things last at this level? (I want to make sure I bring enough knitting)

Bring cash, something to do while your waiting, snacks, things to entertain younger siblings if they're attending. That's all I can think of but there's probably more. How long it lasts depends on how big the meet is and how efficiently run. I would plan on a minimum of 3 hours but could be up to 5. Remember to just relax and have fun.

Around here it's $10/adult and $5/kid or senior to attend.. I was surprised I had to pay to watch my own kid compete. And there will be raffles and spirit/candy/bear-grams you can spend money on... Yes, bring water and patience and eat before as the snack bars tend to be full of pretty junky food (though some have had decent salads!). And depending, the gym can be hot or cold, so bring a light sweater.

Definitely cash. Also, if you have a bony booty, I highly recommend some kind of cushion. Metal bleachers kill me.
Also, yes, it is generally 3.5-5 hours. Be prepared to sit through a lot of awards.

Definitely cash. Also, if you have a bony booty, I highly recommend some kind of cushion. Metal bleachers kill me.
Also, yes, it is generally 3.5-5 hours. Be prepared to sit through a lot of awards.
I wish I had a bony booty, but nope. :D I have an old lady back, though, so I bought a stadium seat that has a back. It folds up nicely.

I'm glad I asked, because I never would have thought to bring cash, and I would have arrived with about 28 cents.

Ipad or video camera to video, Bum cushion, snacks, cash, wear a t-shirt with a sweater or sweatshirt over top of it (in case its hot there)
I always bring extra hair ties, brush, wipes, water, ice pack (the ones you break and only use once), I always have one just in case and have never had to use it (knock on wood)

Plenty of love, hugs, smiles, patience - and I never ask "are you nervous" We don't even talk about nerves. If she wants to talk about i would.

Have fun.

Remember everyone has a loved one competing, be gracious and watch what you say out loud.

As she/he goes in, have fun, do your best, love you.

After, I just love watching you do gymnastics. Especially xyz.

That awesome handstand
Go job recovering from that bobble
Nice whatever, I know how hard you worked on it.

Any medals then add congratulations, you had a good day.

Be prepared for a hungry gymnast and maybe have a snack ready to eat while they are waiting for awards. My DD doesn't eat well before a meet and as a result, it ravenous after the meet. I find that re-establishing her blood sugar before awards allows her to not be so hard on herself if she doesn't place as well as she wants.

My first meet I was shocked at how long awards take. They seem to drag on forever. It seems like most parents at our meets buy the candy grams, so have cash for that. I take an iPad for DS so he is not bored to tears. We also bring our own fold up chairs because there aren't always bleachers and our chairs are more comfy than the ones provided. I send DD with snacks and water in her bag to eat during awards although she usually doesn't. You won't be able to talk to your gymnast during the meet and I usually only have time for a quick "I love you, have fun!" when we get there. Be aware that it is often hard to get good pictures because of gym lighting, so I usually don't really try and just focus on the event. This year another gym mom and I are going to take pics of each other's kids so we can watch our own. Have fun!

Others have hit the important ones.

Bring cash. Bring camera, video and still. Make sure your flash is off (except for awards...you can usually have it on for that). A meet session usually lasts 2 to 4 hours, depending on how many kids are competing. Awards are afterwards, and those can sometimes drag on. Have a snack ready to give your child just before awards as she will probably be hungry.

One more thing: don't try to make sense of the scoring. Just smile and say "good job."

be prepared for the emotional roller coaster as well, both hers and yours. I live every step and breath they take ( both mine and her buddies on team), I never breathe till beam is finished, it is exhausting. I second a good cushion and your own food / drink if you are allowed.

Take something for yourself to do! Your kid is going to be competing for what, maybe 5-6 minutes of a 3-5 hour meet? It can get rather boring sitting around waiting...

Pack her some snacks, a brush, wet wipes, Bobby pins, hair ties, tissues for her bag. Pack you, water, cash, and xanax :) enjoy!

bring plenty of alcohol. They don't serve drinks at meets not even beer. Just kidding.... Well kind of. Lol. In all seriousness everyone has done a great job saying what you should bring. May I say a positive aditude is something else u would want to bring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back