Parents Floor Choreography questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Swiftli

Proud Parent
Who does the choreography at your gym? Is someone brought in to do this? Do you have an extra fee associated? If you don't like the chosen choreographer, does your gym allow you to go outside to have this done?

Our Gym gives us options. One of our coaches is also a choreographer, or you can use one of two people that they gym will bring in. The cost of the floor routine ranges from $250 to $400

One is a college gymnast at NC State, the other is a women who goes all over the country putting together routines. I can't remember where she is from.
My DD's routine came from her coach (Brian) who was a gymnast and dancer for UAB.

We have to keep our routines for 2 years, so she is not getting a new one this year.

Yes, the parents and gymnasts do have a say if they are not happy with the routine.

Head coach does all the routines. Gym provides the music, her bubby is a muscian who can cut anything to fit.

Ours also keep their routines for two years, though if a gymmie really ated their routine, they could swap for an old one no one is using. The gymnasts do get to choose their music and the ocah is very good with letting theolder girls play with their routines. The younger ones can fix ending poses and those types of things, but the acros will stay put.

Nobody has ever asked to use outside choreography, probably 99% do not even know you can do that!

Our girls usually keep their routines for 2yrs. There are a couple of coaches that are better at choreography & those are the ones that make up the routines. Cost is around $300. A couple of parents did use an outside "big name" choreographer & paid a lot more $. Those routines didn't score any better than the ones the coaches made up.

DD was state champ 2yrs years with a routine that her & her coach made up. Winning over the "big name" choreographed routines. I think the key there was because it really "fit" her, since it was developed by DD & her fav coach that knew her style well:). It's not just the routine its self...it's about how the gymnast carries it out that can really makes it stand out. A routine needs to be a good fit for the gymnast, so she can really own it & shine with it. JMHO. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I agree that having a routine that fits the gymnast is more important than paying big bucks for someone with a degree in dance who has choreographed a million routines. At dd's old gym a new coach that was only there for a short while brought in one of his former gymnasts who was a dance major to choreograph routines. He gave her the music and she made up the routines before she even met the girls then came in and taught them to the girls. She didn't know any of their personalities or strengths and weaknesses. Most of the girls ended up hating their routines. In the end, artistry and presentation do matter, but it's the girls whose routines really fit them who can go out and sell them.

Our gym has a couple coaches that do the choreography. You can typically pick one of them or choose someone else, if you want. It does cost $$, so even picking the coach doesn't mean it's free here.

We have outside choreographers come in to the gym to do routines. None of our coaches choreograph. The choreographer we used asked for a video of DD's previous routines and her music selection so she could tell a bit about the girl before she arrived. OUr coaches helped with music selection. It worked out beautifully. Cost is 300 and up depending on which choreographer is used.

Dd's HC does all floor choreography for L7 and up. Dd, nor I, have any say in music or actual choreography. All I do is open the checkbook and write the checks. I have to say that dd's routines have been out of this world good and we have absolutely no complaints... :p

One of the coaches does it in our gym. She does floor and beam choreography. Our gymnasts keep their routines for 2 years.We get to choose the music but need approval from the coach.

Our gym you have a few choices as to who is going to choreograph but you have 0 choice in music. That is up to your head coach. In addition it will cost for floor alone 500+. That is what I was told by our new optionals.

Our gym you have a few choices as to who is going to choreograph but you have 0 choice in music. That is up to your head coach. In addition it will cost for floor alone 500+. That is what I was told by our new optionals.

OMG! I don't think I could handle $500 for choreography. At that price, I hope they keep the routine for 2-3 years.

our gym has someone come from Sweden that use to be here. She comes for a month - 6 weeks to visit family in the summer and while she is here does all the routines for any girl on our team that needs them. She is really great but it's expensive $300 for 1 hour. so we video the session and the instructor will do the whole routine (not including tumbles) so we have it to refer to.

We aren't required to use this girl but she is very good and after being with the girls for a week has their personalities down pat. I haven't seen a floor routine that didn't go with the girl yet.

This year however one of our L8 girls did her own routine and it's very good. The coach said if she wants to use it this comeing season she can.

At our new gym they recently hired a new coach/choreographer/dance teacher, all rolled into one person! she's great with the girls and has really helped to polish their floor and beam routines. She helped them fine tune the 'little' things. They had their first dance (ballet) class with her on Monday. DD loved it. They are required to have their hair in a bun, have a plain colored leo, no jewels or stripes and we need to get ballet shoes. Over the summer she'll be teaching some different kind of dance classes as well as a class which focuses on leaps, jumps, spins, etc. specifically for your floor routine. I think hiring her was the best thing they could've done. Being in this new gym only 3 weeks I'm seeing such an improvement in my dd and in her new teammates.

As far as cost goes, we haven't needed to pay for choreography yet. I do believe it's around $300-350 to have a routine choreographed, though I could be wrong. Hopefully we'll find out by the end of the summer.

A couple of the coaches do. The girls get to choose music as long as HC agrees. This year we cut it ourselves, .99 on itunes, great deal. Recently the girls get to choose who to choreograph. However, different coaches have different styles so they may suggest another coach more suited to the music and style. Routines are $100 music cost is separate. The coach will work with the girls until they have the routine down pat and throughout the two years that they keep the routine. Coaches have been flexible with changing parts as needed.

My daughters would like to have dance scheduled weekly but I have been bugging for three years and so far nothing consistant. Maybe this summer:)

YouTube - sportyfam5's Channel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back