Floor deductions for dance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

drivingmom

It seems the girls work a great deal on the the dance part of their floor routines and very little on adding the tumbling until just before a competion. My question is isn't the dance part a very small deduction such as .15 artisty and .10 rhythm. It seems they should put more time into the tumbling since that is where most of the deductions come from. Is this correct or am I way off?

yep, your off. it's okay. it's how you train floor at this time of year.:)

I think we're confusing overall artistry/dynamics with the actual performance of each step/section. If the dance is sloppy, the judges are taking deductions continually throughout the routine - foot fault, rhythm issue/quality of movement (it "looks awkward"), posture/alignment. Also, at this point in the training cycle most of the girls aren't ready to add the tumbling they'd be competing, and it would be risking injury for something unnecessary.

Well I don't know if you are talking optional or compulsory, but the choreography is very important for level 4-6. If its not done "by the book" the judge can apply up to .4 for text errors.

Well I don't know if you are talking optional or compulsory, but the choreography is very important for level 4-6. If its not done "by the book" the judge can apply up to .4 for text errors.

This is so true. My dd got deducted for not taking the correct amount of steps before her ROBHS and for not putting her heel down at the right time after her full turn in her level 6 routine. Of course, she didn't find this out until we switched gyms. I wonder what else she was missing?:confused:

i think it's mostly because most gymnasts are just learning new routines, so theres really no point of adding the tumbling yet. and most gyms work on tumbling all summer because they dont do routines. so don't worry.. i'm sure your DD is getting plenty of tumbling in :D well, at least i know my gym does :D

This is so true. My dd got deducted for not taking the correct amount of steps before her ROBHS and for not putting her heel down at the right time after her full turn in her level 6 routine. Of course, she didn't find this out until we switched gyms. I wonder what else she was missing?:confused:

This is one reason gyms choose to "score out" of compulsories or to do prep optional instead of levels 4-6. They'd rather spend the time training the skills instead of making sure the hand is "here" rather than "there" in this or that particular pose.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back