Forums

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

I was just wondering what the point is in having restricted access to certain forums? I'm a coach and former gymnast and can view the other forums but cannot post in those such as the proud parents one. there's currently a post in there that i would like to contribute to but I can't, same goes for some of the other forums. i know i could PM the person that started the thread but there's time when what others can say will be helpful to a few people - not just one.
I've applied for access to other forums but nothing has happened yet. i just think it's a pity when we can all help each other.

It's because sometimes the poster only wants to hear from parents or coaches opinions and it let's them have conversations that only they can contribute to. But I agree that it is sometimes annoying because I want to chime in on something and can't! Note to parents: please open up threads to everyone unless it's truly something you only want a limited response to, thank you :)

Is there an option to open up posts to everyone? I know on the question/answer forum you can choose who the question is for, but if I post something on the "proud parents" forum, because that's where it belongs, I don't really have the option of opening it up for general replies, do I?

The Chalk Bucket was founded on the concept that the different groups (parents, gymnasts, coaches) in the sport of gymnastics see things differently sometimes. Since everyone can see the different group forums, they can start to understand that group a bit better. If there are a bunch of coaches chiming in on the parents all the time...the view of the parents becomes lost.

The "Question & Answer" forum was created due to need for the different groups to interact better. When you create a thread in this forum....you must specify who the question is directed toward (ei. Question for All, Question for Coaches, etc.). This used to be a capability in the group forums (anyone could start a thread to ask a question, but only members of that group could reply). This was changed as it got out of hand....that is when the "Question & Answer" forum was developed.

Please view this thread from the "parent" forum:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/9450-parent-forum.html

What I really need to do is get an "about" page up on the site so everyone knows the general concept of the site. The concept that there are really two different types of forums on this site. There are "topic" forums and "group" forums. That is really the power of the site...it is what has made the site what it is today.http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/9450-parent-forum.html

Is there an option to open up posts to everyone? I know on the question/answer forum you can choose who the question is for, but if I post something on the "proud parents" forum, because that's where it belongs, I don't really have the option of opening it up for general replies, do I?

No...the "parent" forum is just that. A place for parents of gymnasts to talk about gymnastics.

If you are specifically looking for advice from another group....then "Question & Answer".

If you are talking about a "topic" such as men's gymnastics or NCAA....then "MAG" forum or "NCAA" forum.

One thing that I have not told everyone before...not sure if I've told anyone.

The forum was created this way because as a young coach, I was baffled by parents all the time. Many times I handled simple situations completely incorrectly. I was just plain wrong more often than not.

I wanted to get a glimpse into the minds of parents. The parent forum did that for me for a long time. I learned many broad sweeping things that parents are looking for from any gym.

Now the parent forum is something different to me. It is something that I like to participate in...because I am now a parent...but I have a hard time not talking like a coach. For this reason I mainly read the parent forum. The posts and parents no longer baffle me. I know where each and every one of them is coming from. I am a parent and I like talking to other parents.

I'll just keep going....forum 101...don't double post...oh well.

The site now has a stripe across the top:

Blue stripe = full access to all
Orange stripe = parent forum
Red stripe = gymnast forum
Green stripe = coach forum
Black stripe = adult gymnast forum

This makes it easy to see what forum each post is in. Topic forums are all blue...group forums each have their own color.

Always wondered why the colors at the top changed! But a little confused, only parents can post in the proud parents forum? I've seen coaches post, are they also parents so they have access? Not that I care that they are posting, just curious....

If coaches are posting in the parents forum it is because they are members of the parents group, hopefully that means they have kids. THe mods try to stay on top of coaches posting as coaches in the parents forum, and vice versa, as it changes the flow of the thread. Parents, or coaches, can always mirror a topic that they wish to respond to.

It can be a challenge to stay on top of the threadsand who is posting where, just not enough time in the day, so JBS put the coloured headers on to help people remember where they are and if it is a place they can respond.

I think it works great on the whole, nothing is ever perfect. BUt I do like that each group has their own place to go and many communal places to share as well. As JBS has stated, there is a lot to learn just by reading othre forums, and access to reading is not restricted at all.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back