front and back tuck question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

crimsontide1145

Hey, ok when I do a back tuck or front tuck I tend to get really high when I start then I end up on my face or backside at the end. I have enough air and my form is pretty good. I asked my coach and she said that I am just not rotating quick enough...So anyway has anyone else had this problem? Is there a drill or something i can do to help me fix it? Or do i just need to keep practicing and it will come in time?
Thanks

Here's what I think about when I do them:

Back tuck - these took me a while to figure out too, but one day it clicked for me. When you set, make sure your shoulders are as open as they can go. This will help you rotate faster. You should be completely stretched out at this point, almost in an arched position. When you start to feel a slight pause in the jump, that's when you pull your knees up. Be careful not to throw your head back at any time during the flip.

Front tuck - right before you do the flip, again, think about getting your arms up by your ears. The key motion to rotating here is to throw your arms forward when you're about to flip. Try practicing it with a beach ball; just as you're ready take off, throw it as far as you can. That should help you rotate faster.

The set is very important when doing these skills, so it's good that you have that down already. Keep practicing - you'll get it someday. Good luck!

Front tuck - right before you do the flip, again, think about getting your arms up by your ears. The key motion to rotating here is to throw your arms forward when you're about to flip. Try practicing it with a beach ball; just as you're ready take off, throw it as far as you can. That should help you rotate faster.

The set is very important when doing these skills, so it's good that you have that down already. Keep practicing - you'll get it someday. Good luck![/QUOTE]

I have done the beach ball drill but at the gym with a block of foam from the pit

i think this kinda applies to the thread... what are drills or exercises that i can have girls do to start working on front and back tucks on the floor. i would like these girls to have them by next season and they haven't really worked on them before. i realize that they may not get them but its still worth a shot!!

My advice to the original poster is this,

If your tuck is not rotating fast enough, it is mostly dependent on how fast (or if you're having rotational issues, slow) your knees are being brought up into a tuck.

A back tuck operates on the basis that after you set, you also pull your head back (note, NOT tilt your head up, these are different principles) which sends your body into a tilt, like this slash \ <- your body in mid air.

When your knees come up the momentum slingshots your weight around - you open with your legs to stop/stall/slow the rotation and to land after rotating enough.

So with this in mind, I think it's probably something to do with...

1) How high are your knees going. Are they actually going into a full on tuck? Alot of my students tell me "Yeah I'm tucked!" but they're clearly doing their back "tuck" with their legs out in a pike with bent knees - we have to record them until they go :O "Oh."

2) If you are going into a full tuck and having rotational issues, it could very well be how quickly are you tucking. A backtuck isn't really like a "tuck jump" its a tuck open, a Tuck open is a front and back tuck without the rotation - theres an open in both.

Ask your coach if you can't tell if its one of these things - ask them "Am I not tucking tight enough/fast enough".

@SHADOW

Hello. Back tucks are fun to teach.

I spot them on trampoline - however before I do this, I have them do a backward roll off of an elevated stack of mats about a spotting block turned on its side height (depends on the size of the athlete)
After trampoline, tumbletrack, then from two panel mats onto an 8" mat. Then snapdown into a backtuck, then round off, then ro-bhs-back tuck.

I hate teaching front tucks. However, this is how I do it. Have your kids at one end of the trampoline, and pull an eight inch meight onto one side of it, so only the side they're standing on isn't covered. Have them do a front tuck to a pike sit, practicing their arm motions. Then off of the tumble track with a run have them do the same exact thing up to a stack of 8" mats (maybe four or five high) and have them land in a pike as close to the edge as possible. Keep reminding them that front tucks go up, not forward. Explain to your kids if they're old enough to understand, if they can land in a pike on top of the stack, if you took the mats away - their legs would be falling down and catching them, they would be landing front tucks.

Then springboard->8" mat on floor, that's at least how I do it, there's so many ways of teaching those two skills though its ridiculous :p

Good luck you two

I will try some of these things but unfortunately we do not have a tumble track. So we have to use the tramp and the floor which is kinda hard to work with but we get by^^. I just need drills and things for them to have the correct height before they go all out on the floor. We worked on back tucks to other day and they seems to have problems with setting and also they have a slight hesitation after their backhand spring into the tuck. how do you get that out of there?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back