Front handspring over the vault- help? Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay I just got my kip (yay!) so now I need my vault to move up to team. Well the problem is I just can't seem to do it... I run fast and I'm not really all that scared or anything, but it feels like I can't get enough momentum. D: Anyone have any tips? I have trouble reaching out, too. Sometimes I can't even get to handstand.

I do great on the trainer vault, which has a trampoline instead of springboard. I don't understand why I can't make it!! I have kind of a high hurdle, is that a problem?

Also I'm sorry I don't have a video ):

If you are focusing on a good run great. This is the first step to a good vault.
You say you are having trouble reaching "Out", good, don't reach out. Reach up. If you are reaching out, you are diving forward. This usually doesn't allow your body to hit at a good angle to bounce. I've stopped using a mini tramp for vaulting. I personally think it messes up some things. It is good for getting used to the table but it changes your turnover and punch.
A high hurdle makes you bounce up off the springboard. If you were to drop from the ceiling and hit the springboard, you wouldn't go over the table. You would rebound straight up and come straight down. You want to have a low fast hurdle. If you can hurdle without your head going up much at all, you will lose less momentum for the actual vault.
Try to push the springboard under the table with your feet. This will make your body start to flip as you go up and into the table. Try to come in with your arms at about your shoulders then push them behind your ears as you are flipping toward the table. This motion itself will make you block. You won't even have to try. If you do all of this correctly, you will need to find a way to control the power you get from the vault.
Here is a good example:
YouTube - Front handspring Vault

You also want to make sure the board isn't too far away from the table. The girl in the video is about 5'4" and the spring board is only about 1.5 feet from the table. If there is too much distance between the board and table (depending on a lot of factors like how tall you are, how high the table is, how much turn over do you get? and so forth) you lose a lot of speed and block in the preflight.

Thanks! I'm practicing trying to get my hurdle lower, but it's hard... I started gym late but when I was little I was always trying to jump over things, so I guess kind of just transferred old habits to the springboard lol. Guess it doesn't work so well for vault/tumbling :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back