Front Handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

O

Off the wall

Anyone know how to word how to do a front handspring?
I understand that you have to pull your hips out and you need to punch the mat, but does anyone have anymore pointers on how to do this trick?

When I first learnt a handspring I always used to have a problem where I would end in a squat position and I could never seem to change it. Then one day my coach suggested I really reach with my hands when I went into it as he thought I put them too close to my feet. It helps you to open out and get the right body shape and it allows you to block off your shoulders so that you can keep a straight body the whole time. I dont know if that helped but it definitely helped me!

i think that you really have to push off your shoulders not elbows

One drill for a front handspring is to do it off of a panel mat. That will give you extra power for the skill. We also used to have to do the ON TO a panel mat. That makes it a lot harder to land on your feet...so if you can do it there, on the floor it will be no problem!

One other thing we do is we set up a BIG squisy mat turned onto it's side against a wall. Then, you do the fronthandspring infront of the mat, and rebound into the mat, if that makes any sence. This drill is mainly for fronthandspring fronttucks, though.

Just make sure that you get a good block off of your shoulders and have a good heal drive. And make sure you don't bring your chest up to fast! That is what causes landing in the squat position. Let your toes and hips lead the skill!

1. Keep your shoulders open. Don't let your ears stick out and cover them. ( a trick to do this if you have poor shoulder flexion is to go wider with your hands to open up the shoulder angle- it ain't pretty or textbook, though )

2. HS to front limber aka kick to HS and lower down to bridge and stand up. Doing walks up and down a wall in a bridge or good for this so long as you keep good form. Work on standing up from a rocking bridge.

3. You have to kick really hard this is why the front limber is good. You have to kick over as if you were going to land in a bridge and be able to stand up as in feet closed to hands. If your feet are way in front of your hands, it is harder to end up standing up from it.

4. Hand-spotting helps a lot as their is a huge tendency to tuck the chin and tuck after the kick through HS phase which will land you in a squat or on your butt.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back